Senior Controller - Element ScienceView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Senior Controller
- Job Location
- San Francisco, CA
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Element Science, Inc. is a medical device and digital health company focused on developing solutions at the intersection of clinical-grade wearables, machine learning algorithms, and lifesaving therapies in order to address leading causes of death and hospitalization in patients with heart disease, primarily as they transition from the hospital-to-home. By putting the needs of patients and physicians first, our personalized digital devices, which are designed for function, comfort, and ease-of-use, aim to redefine the paradigm of care for these patients. Our first product, a wearable patch defibrillator, is initially targeted at treating the more than 500,000 patients in the US with an elevated temporary risk of potentially experiencing a lethal heart rhythm. Based in San Francisco, our funders include Third Rock Ventures, Google Ventures, Deerfield Healthcare, Qiming Venture Partners USA, Cormorant Asset Management, and Invus Opportunities.
- Responsible for the organization’s overall financial accounting management. Ensure that all financial reports follow Generally Accepted Accounting principles (GAAP).
- Provide executive management with accurate and comprehensive financial information to guide effective policy-making and financial strategy.
- Build and manage a best-in-class accounting team as well as the operational infrastructure and control environment to support the company’s hyper-growth and help prepare the company for a successful strategic financing leading to M&A or IPO.
- Drive the strategic development and implementation of DME Revenue and Billing capabilities, overseeing the establishment of robust accounting processes, ensuring compliance with healthcare regulations, and optimizing revenue cycle management for a seamless and efficient financial operation in preparation for a pivotal product launch.
- Lead the successful implementation of a comprehensive ERP system, overseeing the integration of financial modules, streamlining accounting processes, and ensuring regulatory compliance to enhance overall financial reporting and control functions.
- Drive the strategic initiative to build out cost accounting capabilities, with a specific emphasis on implementing standard costing methodologies.
- Develop financial plans, manage cash flow, review financial statements, and advise on ways to reduce the month-end and year-end days required to close.
- Analyze monthly and quarterly financial statements for fluctuations and anomalies and work closely with FP&A team to analyze variances against the budgets.
- Oversee accounting operations, including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL, Inventory, Cost Accounting, and revenue recognition. Ensure the integrity of books with a high emphasis on inventory costs.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures; implement controls over accounting transactions to mitigate risk.
- Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements to the executive team and board of directors.
- Act as a liaison between upper management and the accounting teams.
- Provide financial analysis, with emphasis on pricing decisions and contract negotiations.
- Prepare and manage all regulatory reporting and research technical accounting issues to ensure compliance.
- Manage and comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Work with external auditors and provide needed documentation and support for the annual audit and tax returns preparation.
- As the company grows, hire, develop and manage a team of accounting and finance professionals as needed.
- Additional financial reporting and technical accounting memo responsibilities as needed in a startup environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration with an advanced degree in Accounting, Finance, or related discipline.
- Significant track record with 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in both accounting and finance combined.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) required.
- Proven professional experience as a Financial Controller at privately held as well as large enterprise technology companies, preferably Medical Device industry.
- Thorough, practical knowledge of accounting principles and procedures.
- Familiarity with materials flow as it relates to the computer hardware, software, and medical device industries.
- Experience creating financial statements, general ledger functions, and the month-end/year-end close process.
- Able to select and work fluently with prevalent ERP and accounting systems.
- Previous experience in audit at Big 4 Accounting firm.
Element Science offers a very competitive salary and benefits package including, but not limited to:
- Stock Options
- 90% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Company-paid Basic Life Insurance
- 401(k) retirement plan (Traditional and Roth)
- Competitive Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays
- FSA (Flexible Spending Accounts)
- HSA (Health Savings Account)
- Employee Assistance Program through PEO
The salary for this exempt-level position will be based on experience and qualifications within an established pay range.
- Pay range: $225,000 - $245,000
Element Science is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All candidates will be evaluated on the basis of their qualifications for the job in question. We do not base our employment decision on an employee's or applicant's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit-based factors prohibited by local, state, or federal law.In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job.
At this time, we are unable to offer relocation assistance at Element Science.
Discover job listings, tech companies, startups, investors, job listings, funding rounds, industries, and tech stacks.Get EmployblBook a demo call
Get periodic emails about startups and the tech job market
Employbl Newsletter is about helping you find jobs and understand the tech job market. Read previous issues.
Element Science Headquarters Location
San Francisco, CA
Element Science Company Size
Between 50 - 100 employees
Element Science Founded Year
Element Science Total Amount Raised
Element Science Funding RoundsView funding details