Web Engineering Intern - Linden LabView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Web Engineering Intern
- Job Location
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Our Linden Lab headquarters is in San Francisco, but we have embraced a distributed model of working to reach the best talent across the United States. Remote roles based outside of our office can sit in any of the following 15 states: AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, IL, MA, MN, MT, NH, NC, PA TX, VA and WA. We invite you to apply if you are able to live and work full-time in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
Linden Lab develops platforms that empower people to create, share, and thrive within virtual experiences.
Founded in 1999, the company first launched Second Life, the groundbreaking virtual world enjoyed by millions around the globe, in 2003, which has since gone on to boast nearly two billion user creations and a vibrant $500 million (USD) economy.
At Linden, we value a workplace that’s as diverse as our products. As we continue to grow, we remain dedicated to building a company that is rooted in organizational health, strengths-based leadership, and the belief that teams are stronger than individuals.
If you want access to the forefront of virtual words, this is the place for you. We’ve created space for everyone to find belonging and invite you to come as you are.
We’re looking for a Web Engineering Intern to make a significant impact on our virtual world platform, which has been at the forefront of innovation for almost two decades. We are seeking a highly motivated individual who can help us reinvigorate our passion for virtual worlds and our culture of learning by asking insightful questions and collaborating with our talented team of developers..
This role reports to the Senior Engineering Manager of Web and will use AWS and modern web technologies to enhance the Second Life Resident experience.
The length of this remote internship is three months with a flexible start date.
What We’ll Offer You
The stability of an established company with new startup momentum. An unparalleled opportunity to create relationships and systems. An environment where your voice will be heard and your impact deeply felt. A sense of belonging where your work is appreciated and rewarded.
- Knowledge and experience gained from professional developers, designers, and product managers, who will mentor you and provide you with valuable feedback
- Opportunity to apply your existing skills and knowledge in a real-world environment and gain experience working with a large-scale virtual world platform
What We’ll Create Together
- Work with our experienced team to gain real-world experience using agile methodologies for software development
- Collaborate with our team to identify interesting projects and features to enhance the Second Life web experience based on your existing skills and interests
- Develop new features and enhancements for our platform, such as improving the search functionality, optimizing the performance of our website and applications, and creating new tools for our users
- Participate in user testing and research to gain insights into how our users interact with our platform and help identify areas for improvement
- Explore new technologies and techniques to help us innovate and stay at the forefront of virtual world development
- Work on cross-functional teams with designers, product managers, and other developers to build and deliver high-quality products to our users
- Attend team meetings, code reviews, and other events to gain a deeper understanding of our development process and contribute to our culture of learning and growth.
What You’ll Bring to the Team
At Second Life, we celebrate all the dimensions of diversity, including diversity of experience. We recognize that candidates applying for this role will be most successful if they bring the following with them:
- Experience programming in Python, ReactJS, Ruby, or PHP
- Experience with relational databases
- Experience using version control systems such as Git
- Experience with task trackers such as Jira
If you feel like you don’t meet all of the requirements for this role, we encourage you to apply anyway. The confidence gap and imposter syndrome can sometimes get in the way of meeting incredible candidates and we don’t want it to get in the way of meeting you. We encourage you to reach out if you have belief in our mission and your own ability to contribute to our team!
The Fine Print
Pay Transparency Notice
The Company’s Total Rewards philosophy is to ensure fair, unbiased compensation and equitable pay along with competitive benefits in all locations in which we operate. The rate for this position is $20/hour for up to 40 hours per week.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
As a remote-first company, we take great care to ensure an inclusive experience for all of our employees. You may be offered the opportunity to travel to company meetings and events, however this is not a requirement. We aim to optimize for remote attendance, not just accommodate it.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use the computer and communicate with coworkers in a remote office environment. The employee frequently is required to stand or sit to complete work and may occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
The Company celebrates diversity of thought, race, national origin and culture, age, experience, religion, economic and social status, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability status. Building a culture of inclusion and belonging allows us to create and share experiences with each other, and with our virtual communities. We always seek to maintain a diverse and welcoming workplace, and candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Linden Lab Headquarters Location
San Francisco, CA
Linden Lab Company Size
Between 200 - 500 employees
Linden Lab Founded Year
Linden Lab Total Amount Raised
Linden Lab Funding RoundsView funding details