TRISO Fuel CVD Process Engineer - Kairos PowerView Company Profile
- Job Title
- TRISO Fuel CVD Process Engineer
- Job Location
- Albuquerque, NM
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Kairos Power is a new nuclear energy technology and engineering company whose mission is to enable the world’s transition to clean energy, with the ultimate goal to dramatically improve people’s quality of life while protecting the environment. This goal will be accomplished through the commercialization of the fluoride-salt-cooled, high-temperature reactor (FHR) that can be deployed with robust safety, affordable costs, and flexible operation to accommodate the expansion of variable renewables.
Kairos Power is seeking a highly motivated Process Engineer to develop and optimize the Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD) coatings process in support of the Kairos Power fuels program. In this role, you will work within an engineering team to design, construct, commission, and optimize performance of the process equipment necessary to fabricate TRISO particles. You will also work cross-functionally with facility operations, facility engineers, quality assurance, and EHS to enable supporting functions.
- Perform process engineering functions including development of process flow diagrams, heat and material balance calculations, and process simulations.
- Develop and execute the R&D test program for coating UCO kernels using the CVD process.
- Make modifications to process equipment based on experimental outcomes.
- Develop and/or review manufacturing drawings for custom process equipment.
- Work with the lead Responsible Engineer to develop the equipment commissioning plan and procedures.
- Coordinate with facility operations to implement and optimize TRISO fuel fabrication processes.
- Collaborate with EC&I and mechanical design team to select capable instrumentation for monitoring and controlling CVD process.
- Collaborate with QA/QC team to identify sampling methodology, analysis, and qualification criteria for CVD coatings.
- Provide oversight of fuel fabrication processes and incorporate best practices for continuous improvement.
- BS or MS degree in Chemical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or similar discipline or PhD in one of the above fields with experience in CVD/PVD or other pyrolysis methods
- 5+ years performing duties as a process engineer in a chemical, pharmaceutical, industrial, or manufacturing setting
- 3+ years Experience with CVD/PVD process
- 10+ years work experience is ideal, but other more junior engineers with CVD experience are encouraged to apply
- Knowledge of other areas of TRISO fabrication including ADUN solution preparation, gelation, and UCO kernel processing is a plus
- Experience in commissioning new equipment
- Proficient with engineering software programs such as Aspen, ChemCAD. Autocad and Solidworks is a plus
- Experience with Design of Experiments or statistical process controls methodology
- Proven team player with excellent verbal, written communication/presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with highly collaborative team
- Ability to seek different and novel ways to create efficiencies when working on problems, challenges, and issues
- Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, scissor lifts, articulated boom lifts and etc.
- Moving self in different positions to accomplish tasks in various environments including tight and confined spaces
- Remaining in a stationary position, often standing, or sitting for prolonged periods
- Moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another
- Adjusting, moving, transporting, installing, positioning, or removing objects up to 10 pounds in all directions
- Communicating with others to exchange information
- General office environment
- Noisy environments
- Odors or fumes from chemicals or chemical reactions
- Accessing the accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of the work assigned
- High-concentration, demanding and fast-paced
Safety and PPE
- Reading and interpreting hazardous warning signs
- Reporting issues with equipment or unsafe conditions
- Some travel may be required <5%
- Seldomly requires working weekends
- Occasionally requires schedule flexibility
- Seldomly requires extended hours to support launch and critical project timelines
About our Benefits
We know that we have some of the most talented and dedicated employees, and we believe in rewarding them accordingly. If you work here, full-time employees (excludes interns) expect to have access to the benefits below:
- Competitive compensation packages
- Medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and their dependents
- Paid Vacation
- 401(k) and pre-tax health insurance, dependent care, and commuter benefits (FSA)
Kairos Power is committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects the communities where we do business. Kairos Power is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We actively welcome people of different experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Kairos Power participates in E-Verify.
Candidates only, no recruiters or agencies please.
Note: You are applying for a position that is located in a facility that handles information that is subject to export control restrictions by the Department of Energy under 10 CFR Part 810. To work in this facility, you need to be authorized by the Department of Energy to access Part 810-controlled information. Foreign nationals who are citizens of countries that are not on the Department of Energy’s general authorization list (link below) are not permitted to work in our facility unless the Department of Energy issues an export control license to the company to permit that individual to have access to Part 810-controlled information. The following questions are intended to determine the licensing requirements that may apply. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/10/appendix-A_to_part_810
Kairos Power Headquarters Location
Kairos Power Company Size
Between 100 - 500 employees
Kairos Power Founded Year
Kairos Power Total Amount Raised
Kairos Power Funding RoundsView funding details