Team Lead/Engineering Manager - HealthieView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Team Lead/Engineering Manager
- Job Location
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Healthie offers infrastructure for next generation digital health organizations that provide virtual-first care. Our API-first and fully brandable suite of solutions - scheduling software, EMR, coaching tools, and client engagement - enables healthcare builders to launch and scale best-in-class experiences for their members. Our customers include prominent digital health companies that have raised $2B+ in venture capital and range from 5-person startups to multi-billion-dollar companies. In partnership with Healthie, they care for patients across the full spectrum — from preventative health & wellness to complex chronic care management, for millions of patients. Learn more about Healthie at: https://www.gethealthie.com/
The Engineering Manager will be a central part of the engineering leadership team. You’ll lead a team of software engineers, providing mentorship, guidance, and career development support while setting clear and measurable goals for direct reports to enable achievement. You will collaborate with product managers and engineering leadership to understand business requirements, translating them into software development plans to drive the development of high-quality, scalable, and maintainable software products. Along with developing and maintaining strong working relationships with cross-functional teams, including product management, design, quality assurance, and operations, you will be responsible for bringing more structure and people management into the Engineering Org allowing for clearer set expectations and hands-on-coaching through regular 1:1s. In addition, you will serve as an advocate for the engineering team, working to develop a methodology for reporting and acting on feedback from the team while creating systems to monitor the performance of team members.
Our team is collaborative, smart, and diverse. Outside of our 10am US/Eastern standup meeting, working hours are flexible - work when you’re enjoying it and being productive, and have a life outside of work.
- Lead a team of software engineers, providing mentorship, guidance, and career development support.
- Set clear and measurable goals for the engineering team
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with cross-functional teams, including product management, design, quality assurance, and operations.
- Drive the development of high-quality, scalable, and maintainable software products.
- Collaborate with product managers to understand business requirements and translate them into software development plans.
- Ensure that the engineering team adheres to established software development processes and best practices.
- Continuously identify areas for improvement and implement processes to increase team productivity and software quality.
- Work with Leadership to understand priorities and to help support and enforce the appropriate delivery cadence for each employee
- Maintain situational awareness of the employee and their team’s remit with respect to the larger application and Company goals
- Manage internal and external stakeholder relationships, as appropriate, being aware of upstream constraints and downstream dependencies, communicating outcomes and progress as appropriate
- Assist in prioritizing and planning
- Coordinate with Leadership and ensure that priorities are defined and work is equitably divided, with the goal of enabling engineers to self-manage their work
- Escalate employee and team issues upstream when appropriate
- Mentor direct reports to increase their technical depth and breadth, including pair programming as necessary
- Unblock team members (including Product Manager) on both technical and domain related issues
- Manage technical debt with clear descriptions of proposed work and benefits, ensuring a continuous stream of improvements
- Actively handle speccing and delivery of complex features within their teams
- Operate as a hiring manager for the team: responsible for building a case, writing JDs and interview questions, and creating an appropriate interview panel composed of both squad members (including PM) and relevant external stakeholders, responsible for following up on references.
At 3 months, success in the role looks like:
- Handling of day-to-day operations of engineering teams
- Regular 1:1s with all direct reports
- Maintain ongoing rapport with direct reports
- There is cohesion in the team with all employees feeling heard and having a clear understanding of their roles and expectations of them.
- Career and professional development plans established for each direct report.
- Positive feedback from team members and peer management.
- Transparent communication with direct reports and leadership.
- Progress on priorities (including roadmap) is showing signs of increased consistency
- Maintained delivery cadence with processes in place to reduce defect rate, WIP, and MTTR or similar metrics applicable to the team and process.
- Identification of relevant tracking metrics.
- Identification and scoping of best practice improvements in technology and process.
- Identification of and planning to remove process blockers reducing the team’s capacity.
- Become the single point of contact for software delivery bearing the responsibility of ensuring the scoped work is performed in a timely manner.
At 12 months, success in the role will look like:
- Uplevel the team: be an effective advocate for their direct reports, increase autonomy
- Positive feedback from team members and peer management.
- All IC’s are being managed well, they feel they’ve been successful in their role and they have demonstrated progress on career and professional development.
- Tech/Company leadership is consistently hearing feedback on what’s going well and what needs improvement
- Uplevel our processes and workstreams so that product and CTO feel that overall dev workflow is productive and scaling well
- Progress on priorities (including roadmap) has improved delivery cadence with measured reduction in defect rate, WIP, and MTTR or similar metric applicable to the team and process
- Implementation and automation of relevant, team specific metrics.
- Proven best practice improvements in both process and technical implementation shipped on a regular cadence.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related field.
- 5+ years of experience in software engineering, with at least 2 years of those including experience in a management or leadership role.
- Proven ability to lead and manage software engineering teams.
- Strong technical expertise in software development best practices, processes, and technologies.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Experience with Agile development methodologies.
- Experience with modern web application software delivery and the shorter release cadence
- Familiarity with our technical stack; our stack includes Rails, React, Typescript, and GraphQL. Other technologies we use include Postgres, Redis, Sidekiq, RSpec, and Capybara.
Nice to have:
- Familiarity with software delivery in a compliance environment (finance, health, infosec etc.)
- Experience transitioning an Engineering Org out of startup mode.
- Management experience commensurate with your team’s mission (eg. experience managing platform or mobile teams, experience with billing, scheduling functionalities etc.)
We are looking for a driven, self-motivated, and results-oriented individual with exceptional communication skills to help lead our software engineering team. If you are passionate about software development and want to work on cutting-edge products, we would love to hear from you.
The salary for this role is up to $200k DOE
Location: Remote with a preference for Tri-State/NYC Area
Healthie offers a full slate of benefits including competitive salaries, stock options, medical, dental, vision, life and disability coverages, FSA, HSA, flexible vacation, a 401(k) plan with company matching, and a parental leave program. We also offer some not-so-standard benefits, including learning & development stipends, nutritional coaching, fitness membership budget, co-working subscriptions, a laptop plus equipment stipend, and Summer Fridays.
Healthie is committed to equal employment opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category. We're proud to be building a diverse and inclusive environment that encourages collaboration, creativity, and growth. Whatever your background, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day.
Healthie Headquarters Location
New York, NY
Healthie Company Size
Between 20 - 100 employees
Healthie Founded Year
Healthie Total Amount Raised
Healthie Funding RoundsView funding details