Staff Systems Engineer, Quantum - IonQView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Staff Systems Engineer, Quantum
- Job Location
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
IonQ is developing the world's most powerful full-stack quantum computer based on trapped-ion technology. We are pushing past the limits of classical physics and current supercomputing technology to unlock a new era of computing. Quantum computing has the potential to impact every area of human society for the better. IonQ’s computers will soon redefine industries like medicine, materials science, finance, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cryptography, and more. IonQ is at the forefront of this technological revolution.
We are looking for a Staff Systems Engineer in Quantum with a background in experimental quantum physics to support multi-disciplined engineering teams in realizing the full potential of IonQ’s quantum computing products. As a member of the Product Engineering organization, you’ll be part of a cross-functional team whose mission is to bring quantum computing out of the lab and into the hands of customers, providing value and service to the businesses and organizations that are solving the world’s most complex problems.
In this role, you will develop quantum-focused requirements, processes, and verification criteria, as well as support the system integration, bring-up, validation, and operation of our quantum computing products in IonQ and customer data centers.
- Help lead Product development in the systems engineering lifecycle for quantum computing programs/projects, including: requirements development, architecture decomposition, integration and test planning, and system verification and validation.
- Help lead Product realization in the system design, modeling, assembly, operation, characterization, data analysis, and optimization of a trapped ion quantum computer.
- Work closely with system and design engineers to develop integrated solutions for the next generation of quantum computing products, leveraging analysis, experimental results, simulation, and physical understanding to inform designs.
- Help lead the transition of technology, including hardware, firmware, software, and processes, from engineering to production, including development of first articles and technology demonstrations.
You’d be a good fit with:
- PhD in experimental physics or a related field, with 5+ years experience leading the operation of complex AMO systems and experiments, and a deep knowledge of atomic and optical physics.
- Strong desire to be hands-on and cross-functional, with ability to spend significant time working on hardware and systems with the team and being involved at all levels of detail.
- Experience with, and understanding of, the principles, concepts, and methods of Systems Engineering and the Product Development Lifecycle, including industry best practices in requirements creation, decomposition, and management.
You’d be a great fit with:
- 5+ years of industry experience developing products or developing new technology with a focus on productization.
- Experience working with ion trap systems, automation of experiments, and quantum programming languages.
- Understanding of, and experience with, industry best practices in requirements creation, decomposition, and management.
- Experience with software tools such as Jama Connect, MATLAB/Simulink, Confluence, JIRA, Git, Solidworks, and PDM systems
- Experience with, and understanding of, Model Based Systems Engineering and systems modeling languages, such as SysML.
Our HQ is located in College Park, Maryland and we are a 15 minute metro ride from Washington DC. We are actively building out teams in the Washington D.C., Seattle, and Boston metro areas and will want to locate you in one of these geographies. However, IonQ will be expanding into additional geographies both domestically and internationally so don’t let this stop you from applying.
At IonQ, we believe in fair treatment, access, opportunity and advancement for all, while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers. We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We are dedicated to creating an environment in which any individual can feel welcomed, respected, supported and valued.
We are committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
If you are interested in being a part of this team and mission, we encourage you to apply.
IonQ Covid-19 Policy: IonQ requires all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for Covid-19 before starting employment.
IonQ Headquarters Location
College Park, MD
IonQ Company Size
Between 100 - 500 employees
IonQ Founded Year
IonQ Total Amount Raised
IonQ Funding RoundsView funding details
Post Ipo Equity