Staff Software Engineer, Platform - UnitedMastersView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Staff Software Engineer, Platform
- Job Location
- Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA | San Francisco, CA | Remote
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
# Who we are
UnitedMasters is building a marketplace that connects artists, brands and fans - empowering artists to earn and grow. UnitedMasters has taken the bold step of building a music distribution service that, radically, puts artists first - disrupting the legacy music business by letting up-and-coming artists distribute their music directly to fans through streaming services while maintaining ownership of their master recording rights and up to 100% of royalties. Through the combination of UnitedMasters’ music distribution platform and its deep ties to brands, UnitedMasters enables independent artists and change-makers to grow and earn unlike any other platform.
The UnitedMasters team is made up of musicians, marketers, engineers, and storytellers with backgrounds from YouTube, SoundCloud, Pandora, Facebook, Uber, Dropbox, Complex, VICE, and more. We work hand in hand with the award-winning creative teams that forge those innovative partnerships at Translation (our in-house creative advertising agency).
# What's the role
This role will be part of our engineering "Foundation" team, which is a group of platform & data engineers that support our product development teams. Your technical responsibilities will revolve around implementing and maintaining critical technologies, cloud infrastructure, and software tools used across the engineering organization. You will also lead systems design conversations, and help coach other developers into making better design decisions. We're looking for a strong listener, patient collaborator, thoughtful architect, and skilled builder. You will identify areas of need, and improve them.
# What You'll Do
- Partner deeply with software engineering teams to understand their infrastructure needs, and build tooling to help developers self-service whenever possible.
- Be a critical contributor to system design and architecture decisions, helping steer developers toward shared tooling, and encouraging design decisions that ensure reliability, scalability, and maintainability.
- Take ownership of our highly-used kafka eventbus infrastructure, and lead projects to extend, improve, and document that system.
- Help consolidate, document, and in some cases deprecate shared technologies that our dev teams widely use, including Elasticsearch, Redis, and AWS kinesis.
- Participate in an on-call rotation for critical application services and infrastructure alerts.
- Collaborate with other Foundation team engineers to improve our testing infrastructure and developer environments.
- Work Experience:
- 7+ years of professional experience working in Software Engineering.
- 3+ years in Platform/Infra/SRE/DevOps specific roles.
- Systems Engineering:
- Experience building and deploying distributed services using AWS infrastructure.
- You have hands-on experience deploying data-intensive software systems across an organization, from the supporting cloud infrastructure, to the developer interfaces, to good documentation that accelerates adoption.
- You know how to write high-performance services in Python.
- You define your infrastructure as code, and use tools like Terraform to deploy it.
- You are a chronic automator; writing dockerfiles and bash scripts are second nature.
- Communication & Collaboration:
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- You write strong documentation and are an org-wide champion for improving docs.
- You appreciate teaching others, and leveling up the skills of those around you.
You are passionate about software engineering best practices, and are excited to help other developers implement them.
UnitedMasters has over 1.5 million artists on its platform and is growing rapidly. Brands like Diageo, Ally, and ESPN come to UnitedMasters to partner with these artists and play a role in moving culture forward. In the past year, UnitedMasters subscribers have grown rapidly. With $170M raised to date and valued at $550M, UnitedMasters is backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Apple, Alphabet (aka Google), and Disney amongst others. Over the last year, UnitedMasters artists have used our platform to land sync deals with major brands including the NBA, ESPN, Overtime Elite, Bose, Warner Brother Studios and in the NBA video game 2k. These deals give them additional money for their work and increase their exposure.
Salary Hiring Range: $180,000 - $220,000
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and are one part of many compensation, benefits and other reward opportunities we provide (e.g. bonus, stock options, 401(k) match, etc.)
Individual pay rate decisions are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company. We expect the majority of the candidates who are offered roles at our company to fall healthily throughout the range based on these factors.
The range above is for the expectations as laid out in the job description, however we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.
The salary range above is for the NY/CA. As a company, we have a location based strategy, which means the salary range could be lower or higher than this if the role is hired in another location.
UnitedMasters Headquarters Location
New York, NY
UnitedMasters Company Size
Between 200 - 500 employees
UnitedMasters Founded Year
UnitedMasters Total Amount Raised
UnitedMasters Funding RoundsView funding details