Staff Data Scientist (Applied Science), Education - Chan Zuckerberg InitiativeView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Staff Data Scientist (Applied Science), Education
- Job Location
- Redwood City, CA (Open to Remote)
- Job Description
Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
CZI also supports multiple work options. Learn more about our philosophy and approach here.
Our work in education is aimed at ensuring that every student — not just a lucky few — can get an education that’s tailored to their individual needs and supports every aspect of their development. We’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work to help every young person enter adulthood with the skills and abilities they need to reach their full potential — and equip every teacher with the tools and research they need to help students get there. An example of the work CZI's education team supports include the Summit Learning Program, a personalized approach to teaching and learning that enhances the quality of student-teacher interactions and empowers educators to tailor instruction to individual student needs.
Our Education Data Science team is responsible for measuring, evaluating and building product and program changes. For example, how teachers can personalize curriculum for student needs, how the product can recommend actions to teachers saving their time and helping project based learning, how professional development can be personalized for teachers etc. This team influences strategies with insights, measures success through experiments, and builds data powered products, as they collaborate and communicate with the cross-functional and leadership teams.We are looking for a Staff Data Scientist with Applied Science focus, who has a passion for building machine-learning solutions, communicating data insights and scientific vision, and executing strategic projects. You'll collaborate closely with your colleagues in Engineering, Product Management, User experience researcher & Product design. This is a role that combines science leadership, organizational ability, technical strength, product focus and business understanding.
- Build machine learning models and utilize data analysis to deliver scalable solutions to business problems.
- Run A/B experiments, gather data, and perform statistical analysis.
- Establish scalable, efficient, automated processes for large-scale data analysis, machine-learning model development, model validation and serving.
- Work closely with software engineers on detailed requirements, technical designs and implementation of end-to-end solutions in production
- Deliver effective presentations of findings and recommendations to stakeholders, creating visual displays of quantitative information
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to formulate and complete full cycle analysis that includes data gathering, analysis, ongoing scaled deliverables and presentations
- At least 4 years of experience with M.S. or Ph.D. in quantitative field (preferred Statistics, Machine Learning, Computer Science) with a strong Machine Learning background.
- Experience in building machine learning models and applying best practices to solve real-world problems with recommendation, personalization and natural language solutions.
- Experience with Python, Scala, or C++.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to synthesize, simplify and explain complex problems to different types of audience with varied technical skills.
- Experience working cross-functionally with teams of product managers, engineers, designers, researchers and data scientists.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!
CZI believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and save lives. It aligns to our mission and work to cure, manage, and prevent disease. Proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination, including eligible booster(s), will be required for all employees (with the exception of reasonable accommodations due to medical or religious beliefs). All visitors coming onsite to a CZI facility are required to show proof of COVID vaccination, including eligible booster(s), or take an onsite COVID test.
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative Headquarters Location
Redwood City, CA
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative Company Size
Between 200 - 1,000 employees
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative Founded Year