Sr. / Staff Data Scientist - MasterClassView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Sr. / Staff Data Scientist
- Job Location
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Who we are:
MasterClass is the streaming platform where the world’s best come together so anyone, anywhere, can access and be inspired by their knowledge and stories. We put you in the room with the creators, thinkers, makers and leaders who have changed the world, so that you can change yours.
Members get unprecedented access to 150+ instructors and classes across a wide variety of fields, including Arts & Entertainment, Business, Design & Style, Sports & Gaming, Writing and more. Step into Nas’ recording studio and Gordon Ramsay’s kitchen, and go behind the big screen with James Cameron. Design your career with Elaine Welteroth, get ready to win with Lewis Hamilton, perfect your pitch with Shonda Rhimes and discover your inner negotiator with Chris Voss.
It's a pivotal time for MasterClass – and we want you to be a part of the journey. With a HQ in San Francisco, an office in Waterloo, Ontario, and a studio in Los Angeles, we are looking to expand our team to support the business.
If you want to help make an impact on our members' lives – we want to hear from you!
Snapshot of the Role:
Data, Analytics, and insights (DAI) play a central role at MasterClass and are at the heart of how we make decisions. Our growing Data organization (Analytics, Data Science, Data Engineering, and Insights) is a specialized group that collaborates with various departments to drive decisions and provide direction for future growth at MasterClass. The team tackles challenging problems across many technical disciplines, including personalization, acquisition optimization, class prediction, and artificial intelligence.
We seek an exceptional Sr. Data Scientist with a proven track record of applying advanced quantitative techniques and machine learning to solve business problems and build AI products. The ideal candidate will be an expert at synthesizing and communicating insights and actionable recommendations to audiences at varying levels of technical sophistication. This role presents a chance to collaborate with teams in product development, marketing, and engineering to fuel business expansion. For those with a passion for making a mark and a desire to join an energetic team, MasterClass is your ideal destination.
What You Will Do:
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, e.g., Product, Marketing, Engineering, and Business Operations, and identify opportunities for leveraging data science to drive business solutions.
- Be instrumental in informing the company about the latest developments in data science and machine learning. Provides technical guidance and weighs in on technical decisions that impact other team members. Researches and proposes new analytics technologies that are relevant to the business.
- Develop and implement novel advanced analytics models and algorithms to predict and optimize business outcomes, such as developing models to drive personalization, marketing budget optimization, and class performance prediction.
- Analyze large, complex datasets to extract meaningful insights. Effectively communicate, present, and "translate" (storytelling with data.) The skill to provide a deep understanding to a technical audience and the ability to distill complex information in layperson's terms to a non-technical audience.
- Design, implement, and evaluate models and algorithms that drive innovation in MasterClass' large language model initiatives. Collaborate with engineers and PMs to integrate LLMs into products.
- Ensure the integrity of data used for modeling and develop best practices for data collection & cleaning. Build end-to-end ML pipelines, including feature engineering, model deployment, hosting, and re-training.
- Work closely with data engineers to streamline data accessibility and reliability. Set best practices for the team and build solutions that are easy to understand with well-maintained documentation.
About You (Requirements:)
- Advanced degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or related quantitative field
- 7+ years of experience in building machine learning or statistical models.
- Extensive experience with machine learning frameworks (e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch, scikit-learn).
- Experience with distributed compute systems (e.g., TensorFlow/PyTorch Distributed, Horovod) is preferred.
- Strong programming skills in Python. Proficient in SQL and experience with big data technologies (e.g., Hadoop, Spark.)
- Familiarity with transformer-based architectures, specifically with LLMs like GPT-4, BERT, or similar technologies.
- Strong problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to translate a business problem to a data science objective and develop an appropriate solution. Capable of undertaking modeling initiatives and implementing solutions with minimum oversight
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to translate complex findings into actionable insights.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
*Preference for someone based in the San Francisco, Bay Area.
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.
The salary range listed is for NYC/CA/WA. As a company, we have a location based strategy, which means the disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for any applicable geographic differential associated with the location where the position may be filled.
MasterClass’s salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry. In addition to salary, we also offer equity and comprehensive benefits (medical, dental, vision, flexible PTO, and more). The range listed is for the expectations as laid out in the job description, however we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.Salary Range$209,000—$240,000 USD
MasterClass Headquarters Location
San Francisco, CA
MasterClass Company Size
Between 200 - 1,000 employees
MasterClass Founded Year
MasterClass Total Amount Raised
MasterClass Funding RoundsView funding details