Sr. Software Engineer - 23andMeView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Sr. Software Engineer
- Job Location
- Sunnyvale, California
- Job Description
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in genetic-based healthcare and prevention.
23andMe boasts an extremely rich and diverse set of genetic and phenotypic data (genetic data for +12 million individuals and +2 billion singular/longitudinal phenotypic (non-genetic) data points). The Health Machine Learning Engineering (HMLE) team utilizes this wealth of genetic and other non-genetic data to build and deliver machine learning models that deliver personalized health insights with applications in precision prevention and healthcare.
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What You’ll Do
In this new role, you will be joining a phenomenal multi-disciplinary team of engineers, data scientists and physicians. We work to develop predictive models of human disease and make personalized predictions available to our customers. We are looking for a senior software engineer to design scalable pipelines for transforming raw genetic and phenotypic data into predictive models that power our customer health reports.
- You’ll develop self-service pipelines that product and R&D scientists can use to effortlessly investigate and train new models for use in future 23andMe health products.
- You’ll support systems that deliver live results to 23andMe customers.
- You’ll train and mentor other engineers in your team.
What You’ll Bring
- 4-6 years industry experience delivering mission critical software platforms built in Python and deployed to cloud infrastructures (ideally, AWS)
- Deep expertise building and delivering software in a large team environment
- Passion for systems engineering and proven track record of delivering multiple large-scale projects
- Proficient with CI/CD deployment pipelines, Docker containers, and testing frameworks
- Familiarity with MLOps and workflow orchestration tools (e.g., MLflow, Metaflow)
- Interest in learning about human genetics and a passion for improving the health of 23andMe customers
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to lead technical teams by communicating clearly and concisely with all stakeholders
- Experience with scientific libraries in Python (e.g., numba, numpy, pandas) and ML tools and frameworks (e.g., scikit-learn, tensorflow)
- Experience in working with large scale datasets
- A B.S., M.S, or Ph.D. in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
Note: Much of our team is based in Sunnyvale, CA. This position is open to remote work, and we will consider exceptional candidates throughout the United States.
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe takes a market-based approach to pay, and amounts will vary depending on your geographic location. The salary range reflected here is for a candidate based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.San Francisco Bay Area Base Pay Range$150,000—$224,000 USD
23andMe Headquarters Location
Mountain View, CA
23andMe Company Size
Between 500 - 1,000 employees
23andMe Founded Year
23andMe Total Amount Raised
23andMe Funding RoundsView funding details
Post Ipo Equity