Sr. Industrial Designer - ApptronikView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Sr. Industrial Designer
- Job Location
- Austin, TX
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Apptronik is building robots for the real world to improve human quality of life and to help solve the ever-increasing labor shortage problem. Our team has been building some of the most advanced robots on the planet for years, dating back to the DARPA Robotics Challenge. We apply our expertise across the full robotics stack to some of the most important and impactful problems our society faces, and expect our products and technology to change the world for the better. We value passion, creativity, and collaboration to help us overcome existing technological barriers in the industry to create truly innovative products.
You will join a team developing a state-of-the-art general-purpose robot designed to operate in human spaces and with human tools. It is designed to work alongside humans, to walk like humans do, and to dexterously manipulate objects with its hands and upper body.
We are looking for a Senior Industrial Designer to envision, explore, and design our new humanoid robot product! We need someone passionate about creating cutting edge technology that empowers people, a category leading product with advanced capabilities. This opportunity gives you a chance to create fresh designs for an entirely new portfolio of products.
- Your responsibilities will range from concept creation, sketching, rendering, and prototyping, to manufacturing and launching to market.
- Develop concept models as well as creating data for rapid prototype models.
- Create preliminary conceptual drawings in the form of illustrations and storyboards of product concepts, present them for feedback and creatively use the feedback to refine product design.
- Explore new product options with special focus on innovation in both design and function.
- Take a strategic approach to product design and our brand with a focus on end-to-end experience.
- Explore future trends for color, materials, and surface textures.
- Work in a cross-functional team environment to understand design parameters for new product development, leading the design phase of the project.
- Use 3D and rendering software to refine designs and create virtual models of products.
- Use 3D printers to create product prototypes that are both functional and non-functional so that their practicality can be evaluated.
- Work closely with Engineering to iterate and validate concepts, prepare material specs, ensure manufacturability of designs, and evaluate product prototypes in order to determine production feasibility and costs.
- Envision the manufacturing process required to produce the designs.
- Work collaboratively to research and create trend/consumer analysis studies to be used for future product design work.
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Industrial design or equivalent field.
- 10+ years of experience working as an industrial designer in the product design space. Past experience taking designs from requirements to production. Experience designing complex electromechanical products is highly desired.
- Creative capabilities and advanced understanding of shipping products; High proficiency in 2D, 3D, Presentation and Rendering Software; Exceptional design sketching, form-development, high quality rendering and advance 3D modeling; Well-versed with prototyping and design for manufacturing alongside the engineering team.
- Experience designing multiple products with a portfolio that shows a wide breadth of applied design languages.
- Strong verbal and visual communications skills and ability to communicate design ideas and express Apptronik’s brand vision.
- A natural collaborator and self-starter.
Nice to Haves
- Experience in general robotics or mechatronics industry.
- Experience working in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Competitive base w/ benefits
- Highly motivating equity incentive package
- Hybrid work schedule (i.e. work from home in some capacity)
- Flexible work hours policy
- Professional development opportunities
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 401k plan
*This is a direct hire. Please, no outside Agency solicitations.
Apptronik provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Apptronik Headquarters Location
Apptronik Company Size
Between 20 - 50 employees
Apptronik Founded Year
Apptronik Total Amount Raised
Apptronik Funding RoundsView funding details