Splash Illustration Artist Intern - Riot GamesView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Splash Illustration Artist Intern
- Job Location
- Los Angeles, USA
- Job Description
As part of the Illustration team, you’ll put stylus to Cintiq and create art that represents the essence of a champion to millions of players. You will use your artistic eye and keen understanding of dynamic lighting, form, and color to tell concise and evocative stories. By closely collaborating with a team of dedicated illustrators, concept artists, writers, animators and game developers, you will help define and illustrate each champion’s unique place in our universe
- Create high quality illustrations for characters that communicate story through evocative, dynamic compositions with a strong sense of rendering
- Collaborate with various disciplines to help capture the personality and sense of story in various illustrations; from splash images to in-game promotional events
- Give and receive extensive feedback
- Create promotional art for various projects and events on as-needed basis
- Apply ‘out of the box’ creativity for video game art by painting visually awesome experiences for players
- Currently enrolled in a college, university or non degree program
- Available to work full-time hours for 10-12 weeks remotely in our US based offices
- Authorized to work in the country that you reside in during this remote program.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop
- Showcase ability to create high quality 2D splash illustrations
- Good knowledge of art fundamentals, visual storytelling, anatomy, lighting, materials and color theory
- Good understanding of the League of Legends splash style including character focused compositions with stylized anatomy, heroic compositions and cinematic/realistic believability
- Experience in creating high end digital art assets in Adobe Photoshop
- Good understanding for 2D Illustration Asset production pipelines
- Proficient in Photoshop and painting/design tools
- Demonstrated ability to digitally paint volumetric form and material differentiation in an isometric and orthographic view
- Understanding of colors and value structure
- Experience creating designs using inspiration from historical, fantasy, scifi, mainstream trends, and/or pop culture references
- Great understanding designing characters reading in an isometric view
- Inclusion of references, notes, studies, different angles, how a player interacts with a character or place, and why design choices have been made
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise and a collaborative spirit that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies and experience, but for this role, we also look for dedicated people with a personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this is the role for you!
General Portfolio Advice:
- Please limit application submission to 1 role. You will automatically be considered for similar roles based on your portfolio
- Online format is preferred (Artstation, personal websites, etc.)
- If you have private work that is under NDA, please include the password in your application. Otherwise, we recommend you do not password protect your portfolio
- Test that your Portfolio or reel is accessible. Please include access to your portfolio on your resume in addition to the application form in case the link breaks
- Ensure your portfolio showcases your best work
- Fan Art? Sure! It shows your versatility as it relates directly to our art style
- Depending on the role, immersing yourself in the game to get the feel, tone and look can go a long way for your portfolio
Applications Close January 6th 12:00pm PT
(Remote Only) The hourly rate for this internship is USD $38.32.
Riot Internships are paid, and interns can also participate in our 401(k) plan. You can expect in-game perks, and the ability to participate in our Play Fund, so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games. The University Programs team also invites you to intern focused events so you can connect with your fellow interns and Rioters to make the most out of your experience.
Riot focuses on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy and other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Riot Games Headquarters Location
Los Angeles, CA
Riot Games Company Size
Between 2,000 - 10,000 employees
Riot Games Founded Year
Riot Games Total Amount Raised
Riot Games Funding RoundsView funding details