Spacecraft Structures Analyst - Muon SpaceView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Spacecraft Structures Analyst
- Job Location
- Mountain View, CA
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
About the role
Muon seeks an experienced Structures and Dynamics Analysis and Test Engineer to join our team. The ideal candidate can go deep on design and analysis but also has a “systems mindset” and will be a force multiplier collaborating with other disciplines to arrive at an elegant, well-balanced design. Being an early-stage startup with a small team, breadth is extremely important and we expect this person to dive into structural data, dynamics, thermal design, supplier management and everything else associated with the full lifecycle of an electromechanical product.
Leadership is also a key attribute we seek for this role. Muon’s team will be growing rapidly over time and there will be opportunities for both direct-management and indirect (tutoring, mentoring). Due to the hands-on nature of this role, it does require onsite work at our Mountain View location.
- Full lifecycle ownership of structures from quick-and-dirty early analysis for conceptual design to detailed finite element modeling for static, dynamic (modes) and stress including:
- Linear and nonlinear simulation
- Multibody dynamics and kinematics
- Random analysis
- Dynamic environments definition
- Fatigue analysis
- Coupled loads analysis
- Component mode synthesis
- Model correlation to test data
- Find solutions in line with the risk posture of the company and programs, suggesting alternatives to traditional approaches and specifying the risks associated with those options
- Make economically sound choices for the company while understanding the path to constellations. Find solutions balancing the need to quickly demonstrate capability with the need to deploy systems at scale (make vs buy trades, etc)
- Create quick concepts and models that can be used to discuss and spur inspiration on the team in early phases of programs.
- Establish engineering standards and tools for others on the team to help instill a culture of rigor and analysis in all aspects of mechanical design
- Define and drive mechanical/structural validation and test approach (establish factors of safety, identify no-test margins, design dynamics and static load tests, pre-test response predictions, coordinate with test venues and direct tests on-site, etc)
- Plan, execute and run post-test analysis and reduction on system-level and component vibration, shock and other mechanical tests
- B.S. or higher degree in an engineering field, preferably Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- Extensive experience as an individual contributor structural analyst
- Shipped hardware designed for spacecraft, aircraft, automotive or similar environments
- Experience running detailed finite element analyses for aerospace systems (FEMAP, ANSYS)
- Software skills in one or more of Python, Matlab, Julia, C, C++, Fortran or similar
- Experience designing and executing structural tests for spacecraft
- Excellent communication, presentation, coordination skills & curiosity
- Dedication to drawing conclusions on the most important factors and data
- Excited to work in a fast-paced environment with new opportunities each week
- A desire to change the way the world understands and reacts to climate and environmental data
- Travel occasionally required to execute tests on-site with environmental test vendors
- Mechanical design
- Spacecraft design
- Instrument design
- Electronic Instrumentation experience (DAQ, signal processing, etc)
About Muon Space
Muon Space is working at the forefront of satellites, advanced sensors, business intelligence, and climate science to allow humanity to close the loop on climate change. From satellite missions to modeling to data analytics and actionable insights, we believe measuring, understanding and predicting Earth’s complex, coupled systems is both a great business opportunity and key to leaving future generations a livable, productive and healthy planet.
We are a geographically diverse company with teams in the San Francisco bay area, Los Angeles, Seattle and Boulder. We seek great talent wherever it may be. For this role, preference will be given to candidates local, or willing to relocate to Mountain View, given the physical nature of mechanical/structural work.
At Muon, our mission embraces the entire planet and we believe our team should too. Muon is dedicated to creating a diverse and dynamic company and workforce. We believe in equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or gender identity. We value diversity in the workplace, and that starts with our applicants. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't check all the boxes, and we look forward to reviewing your application! In addition, if you need a reasonable accommodation as part of your application for employment or interviews with us, please let us know.
At Muon Space salary is only part of our total compensation package. In addition to salary, Muon Space provides equity compensation as well as benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401k retirement plan, life insurance, and an employee development program. We also offer three weeks paid vacation for new employees, along with 12 paid holidays and unlimited sick time, along with paid parental leave to name a few of our benefits.
The salary range for this role is $95K and $190K + equity in the company and will depend on a candidate's skills, qualifications, and experience as defined during the interview process.
Discover job listings, tech companies, startups, investors, job listings, funding rounds, industries, and tech stacks.Get EmployblBook a demo call
Get periodic emails about startups and the tech job market
Employbl Newsletter is about helping you find jobs and understand the tech job market. Read previous issues.
Muon Space Headquarters Location
Mountain View, CA
Muon Space Company Size
Between 20 - 100 employees
Muon Space Founded Year
Muon Space Total Amount Raised
Muon Space Funding RoundsView funding details