Software Engineer - Simulation & Modeling - ParallelView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Software Engineer - Simulation & Modeling
- Job Location
- Los Angeles, CA
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Parallel Systems is a Series A startup company developing the future of intermodal transportation. Our mission is to decarbonize freight while improving supply chain logistics and safety. We are developing vehicles and software to create new autonomous and electric transportation systems for existing rail infrastructure.
At Parallel Systems, we value the team as much as the mission. We want to work with talented people who are humble, motivated, and persistent. Our most successful team members are self-starters and collaborate with others to reach our collective goals.
As a Simulation/Modeling Engineer you will be responsible for analyzing and predicting the performance of our autonomous rail vehicles. You will work closely with other engineers (mechanical, software, and electrical) to understand and quantify characteristics of different subsystems, and will use these inputs to inform modeling and design trades for future generations of our vehicles. Passion for electric vehicles and transportation infrastructure, particularly rail, is a big plus, together with enthusiasm for bringing that passion to bear on solving challenging problems in pursuit of a greener and more efficient transportation landscape. As an early employee at a fast-moving startup, you will work on a multitude of technical projects and help shape the direction of the company.
- Develop computational models to analyze and predict the performance of Parallel electric rail cars: energy usage, motor efficiency, aerodynamics, lifetime
- Develop simulation models to analyze prospective service routes for Parallel cars: utilization, operational costs vs. revenue, effects of different configurations like platoon size, container size/stacking, etc.
- Collaborate with engineers to develop field and/or lab test plans, and analyze resulting data to extract vehicle performance characteristics (friction, drag coefficients, efficiencies, etc.)
- Deliver reports and give presentations to inform company design trades/decisions
- BS/BA in physics, applied math, statistics, engineering, or related field
- 5+ years of experience with numerical software development in Python (Scipy/Numpy/etc.) or MATLAB
- Coursework in and at least 4+ years experience with physics/physical modeling: mechanics, E&M, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics
- MS/PhD in physics, applied math, statistics, or engineering
- Proficiency with software version control systems and modern software engineering practices
- Experience with transportation analysis and electric vehicles
- Experience with aerodynamic modeling and computational fluid dynamics
- Experience with classical machine learning: regression, Gaussian processes
- Experience with numerical optimization, differential equations, linear algebra, and probability & statistics
$140,000/year to $180,000/year + equity + benefits
Please note the national salary range listed in the job posting reflects the new hire salary range across levels that would be applicable to the position. Final salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s final level. Also, this range represents base salary only and does not include equity or benefits, if applicable.
Parallel Systems is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any discriminatory factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. We work to build an inclusive environment in which all people can come to do their best work.
Parallel Systems is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Parallel Systems will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact your recruiter.
Parallel Headquarters Location
San Francisco, CA
Parallel Company Size
Between 10 - 1,000 employees
Parallel Founded Year
Parallel Total Amount Raised
Parallel Funding RoundsView funding details