Senior Technical Accountant - BettermentView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Senior Technical Accountant
- Job Location
- Betterment HQ - NYC
- Job Description
Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our growing team of 400+ is passionate about our mission to make people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, with hubs in Philadelphia and D.C, and offer in-office, hybrid, and remote working based on role and location.
About the Role:
Betterment’s Controller team is responsible for analyzing and reporting on the financial health of our Business. We’re looking for someone who thrives in an environment where they will wear multiple hats – financial statements guru, technical accounting wizard and business strategist. You’re an energetic team player looking to roll-up your sleeves and provide solutions to problems. You’re jazzed about new accounting pronouncements and driven by financial transparency. You’re eager to flex your skills at a dynamic growth stage company where no two days are the same. In this role, you will join our tight-knit finance team and work directly with Finance leadership.
We are looking to hire this role in our NYC office location.
A Day in the Life:
- Research accounting guidance and compose technical accounting memorandums
- Be a main point of contact for all things ASC 606, 718, & 805, etc.
- Develop internal control policies and create internal procedures documentation
- Assist in the month end close and financial reporting processes
- Play a key role in our annual external audit process
- Perform additional ad-hoc requests which arise throughout the year
What We’re Looking For:
- Experience in private or public industry in audit, accounting, or finance
- Active CPA license
- Strong technical accounting foundation with a focus on Revenue Recognition, Equity and Bus Comb.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and accounting technology (Netsuite is a plus!)
- A self-starter mentality with meticulous attention to detail
- Clear verbal and written communication skills
- Strong strategic and business decision-making abilities
- Ability to work across disciplines to create new processes and/or resolve issues
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your whole self and make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing.
- Join one or more of our 6 Employee Resource Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you’re set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, benefit packages that fit your needs (including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits), a Self Care stipend of $600 per year to invest in your wellness however you see fit, as well as additional professional development opportunity.
- You’ll have flexible paid time off, and a team that cares about you, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs as well as weekly company meetings.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
Betterment Headquarters Location
New York, NY
Betterment Company Size
Between 200 - 500 employees
Betterment Founded Year
Betterment Total Amount Raised
Betterment Funding RoundsView funding details