Senior Software Engineer - LobView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Senior Software Engineer
- Job Location
- United States
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable.
We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by some of the most reputable investors in tech, and we are building our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
As a proud Pledge 1% company, we’re committed to leveraging our product, partnerships, and people to drive positive social impact through Lob.org, and are on a mission to make direct mail more sustainable.
About the role
The Consumer Experience group builds features for enterprise customers who interact with Lob through both API integrations and low/no-code tools. We’re looking for an experienced software engineer to help develop the next generation of Lob’s user-facing products and technologies. Our work spans the entire development stack, so the ideal candidate for this role will have expertise on both the frontend and backend.
You will be foundational in growing our engineering team culture and our strategic technical vision. People who are likely to succeed in this role will thrive in environments of high visibility and are excited to work with stakeholders across different teams. You will be a source of coaching and mentoring for our team members and will help us promote an inclusive culture where trust and psychological safety are top priorities. In turn, we will focus on growing your skills through goal setting, structured professional development, and continuous feedback.
We teach and use Node.js (often with TypeScript) on the backend; our frontend is written in Vue. All of our services run on AWS, with a Service Oriented Architecture. Due to the size and scope of the Consumer Experience group, we are able to prioritize both foundational technical architecture work and user-facing features. We believe in maintaining a culture of high cooperation, psychological safety, and performance where individuals can thrive and do the best work of their careers.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will:
- Collaborate closely with the Product team and other stakeholders to help implement new features and services
- Be responsible for leading projects from design to implementation
- Learn and champion best practices in code design and architecture
- Coach and mentor fellow engineers and team members
- Work with our Engineering leadership to support and grow the culture of our engineering team
For this role, we're looking for...
- Deep familiarity with modern web programming tools across the range of the stack, since this role is equal parts frontend and backend. Node.js and Vue/React expertise is a plus, but we’ve successfully onboarded many engineers from other programming backgrounds.
- Significant experience in roles that include operational responsibility for large-scale software systems (monitoring, alerting, production debugging, etc.). While we ultimately value expertise over experience, we expect that a successful candidate for this role will have 3+ years working with complex production systems.
- Demonstrable success in formal or informal leadership roles that involve significant time mentoring and teaching co-workers about software best practices.
- Empathy and effective communication skills: you can advocate for teammates and stakeholders such as customers and product managers. You can explain complex technical issues to both audiences of diverse technical understanding.
- Ability to design and vet micro-service and cloud-based architectures at scale, as well as support your teammates in doing the same.
- Effective project management skills: track record of working together with product managers to bring projects from inception to completion.
If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that meeting just 50% of a role’s requirements puts you in the running.
We’re not just building a platform to make the world programmable. We’re also designing a great place to work.
Base: $170,000 - $193,750
Base: $160,000 - $182,500
“Lob’s salary ranges are based on market data, relative to our size, industry and stage of growth. Salary is one part of total compensation, which also includes equity, perks and competitive benefits. Salary decisions are based on many factors including geographic location, qualifications for the role, skillset, proficiency and experience level. Lob reasonably expects to pay candidates who are offered roles within the provided salary ranges.”
We offer remote working opportunities in AZ, CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IA, IL, MA, MD, MI, MN, NE, NC, NH, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, TN, TX, UT, and WA, unless specified otherwise in the job description above.
If you are looking for a progressive, fun-spirited, and mentally stimulating environment, come join us at Lob!
Our Commitment to Diversity
Lob is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of backgrounds and perspectives to cultivate an environment of understanding to have greater impact on our business and customers. We encourage under-represented groups to apply and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.
BuiltIn Best Midsize Companies to Work For 2022
#86 on Y Combinator's Top Private Companies List 2021
BuiltIn Best Midsize Companies to Work For 2021
2020 Inc 5000 List of the Fastest-Growing Private Companies
2019 Timmy Awards - Best Tech Workplace for Diversity, Community Favorite in the Bay Area
Deloitte’s 2019 Technology Fast 500
Lob Headquarters Location
San Francisco, CA
Lob Company Size
Between 200 - 500 employees
Lob Founded Year
Lob Total Amount Raised
Lob Funding RoundsView funding details