Senior Software Engineer, Backend - Komodo HealthView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Senior Software Engineer, Backend
- Job Location
- Job Description
We Breathe Life Into Data
At Komodo Health, our mission is to reduce the global burden of disease. And we believe that smarter use of data is essential to this mission. That’s why we built the Healthcare Map — the industry’s largest, most complete, precise view of the U.S. healthcare system — by combining de-identified, real-world patient data with innovative algorithms and decades of clinical experience. The Healthcare Map serves as our foundation for a powerful suite of software applications, helping us answer healthcare’s most complex questions for our partners. Across the healthcare ecosystem, we’re helping our clients unlock critical insights to track detailed patient behaviors and treatment patterns, identify gaps in care, address unmet patient needs, and reduce the global burden of disease.
As we pursue these goals, it remains essential to us that we stay grounded in our values: be awesome, seek growth, deliver “wow,” and enjoy the ride. At Komodo, you will be joining a team of ambitious, supportive Dragons with diverse backgrounds but a shared passion to deliver on our mission to reduce the burden of disease — and enjoy the journey along the way.
The Opportunity at Komodo Health
Komodo aims to build the most accessible, actionable collection of healthcare data in the industry. As we are maturing, we are investing in our user experience to create rich and intuitive web interfaces to bring users closer to our data. Our diverse clients have a range of familiarity with healthcare technicalities and we strive to provide a dynamic interface designed to be simple enough for a layperson while also allowing power users to explore our data with all the depth and sophistication they require.
Komodo Health leverages the latest data engineering technologies such as Spark, DBT, Flyte, and Snowflake to tackle some of the healthcare’s biggest challenges by transforming extraordinary amounts of data into rich and meaningful insights.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be focusing on our internal service layer used to serve our new analytics web-based and cloud native solution. This brand new strategic project comes with the great opportunity to bring the best practices, and the right technologies to implement, build and deploy a quality product.
This position will integrate a newly created French development team.
Looking back on your first 12 months at Komodo Health, you will have:
- Became an expert with our web based customer experience and with our healthcare datasets
- Delivered and maintained the different microservices which serve the application
- Promoted backend API versioning best practices and open API standards in development
- Contributed to the scalability, reliability and quality of the Komodo platform
- Participated to architecture decisions and technology choices which will drive the implementation of the next challenges for the project
- Collaborated with other teams to manage dependencies
- Partnered with our Product Managers and wrote design documents to help explain tradeoffs between implementation choices
- Ensured non-functional requirements are met, such as around developer experience and maintainability
What you bring to Komodo:
- Experience designing backend APIs for use in web application development (synchronous vs asynchronous response patterns, caching strategies, etc)
- Expertise optimizing data retrieval processes supporting API output, as above, ideally within a low query volume / high data volume environment
- Demonstrate deep programming experience with Python (or similar)
- Experience with CI/CD processes and modern deployment techniques
- Exposure with relevant ‘big data’ processing either via Spark or through a modern MPP database like Snowflake
- Understand design for non-functional concerns such as performance, cost optimization, maintainability and developer experience
- Excellent cross-team communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to initiate and effectively drive projects proactively
- Passion! We hope you are passionate about our mission and technology
- Ownership! We hope you own your work, be accountable, and push it through the finish line. We hope you treat yourself as a cofounder and do not hesitate to share any idea that helps Komodo
- Expertise! We do not need you to know everything, but we hope you have deep knowledge in at least one area and can start contributing quickly. And we would love to learn from you in your area(s) of expertise
#LI-JK1 #LI-CT1 #LI-REMOTE
Where You’ll Work
Komodo Health has a hybrid work model; we recognize the power of choice and importance of flexibility for the well-being of both our company and our individual Dragons. Roles may be completely remote based anywhere in the country listed, remote but based in a specific region, or local (commuting distance) to one of our hubs in San Francisco, New York City, or Chicago with remote work options.
What We Offer
On top of our commitment to providing competitive, fair pay for all roles at Komodo Health, we’re proud to offer robust and inclusive benefits to all Dragons at Komodo Health. We offer global time off programs, extensive internal and external career development and learning opportunities, multiple affinity groups celebrating our team’s diversity, and an annual wellness and productivity stipend to support you in being your healthiest, best self.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Komodo Health provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type with regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Komodo Health Headquarters Location
San Francisco, CA
Komodo Health Company Size
Between 500 - 1,000 employees
Komodo Health Founded Year
Komodo Health Total Amount Raised
Komodo Health Funding RoundsView funding details