Senior Mechanical Designer - Kairos PowerView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Senior Mechanical Designer
- Job Location
- Alameda, CA or Albuquerque, NM or Remote
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Kairos Power is a new nuclear energy technology and engineering company whose mission is to enable the world’s transition to clean energy, with the ultimate goal to dramatically improve people’s quality of life while protecting the environment. This goal will be accomplished through the commercialization of the fluoride-salt-cooled, high-temperature reactor (FHR) that can be deployed with robust safety, affordable costs, and flexible operation to accommodate the expansion of variable renewables.
Kairos Power is seeking a dedicated Senior Mechanical Designer with experience in mechanical engineering and design. You will be working as part of our engineering and manufacturing teams to create a variety of technical drawings and digital models to shape the design process. The ideal candidate takes pride in their design skillset, organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Create 2D technical drawings for manufacturing, electrical and P&ID schematics, and 3D models of mechanical equipment designs.
- Collect initial drawings, calculations, and design ideas, and combine all relevant data into coherent and complete initial design models for review, modification and approval by the Responsible Engineer. Iteratively work with the Responsible Engineer to optimize designs and incorporate measurements, specifications, and additional data on the final design.
- Create models based on the final design.
- Collaborates heavily with manufacturing personnel to ensure delivered drawings, schematics, and 3D models to prioritize manufacturability.
- Researches and analyzes the intended use of design.
- Coordinate directly with engineers and managers to understand project requirements, verify design details and recommend modifications as needed according to company standards and best practices.
- Annotate and verify all numerical designations and specifications in technical drawings and schematics, using both CAD programs and manual calculations when necessary.
- Communicate with manufacturing personnel to create detailed layouts prior to production and assist in designing where needed.
- Provide support to engineering team as needed by creating technical drawings and 3D models within deadlines and utilizing multiple methods to ensure deliverables include all relevant design details.
- Assist in an ongoing project to standardize and unify design document standards by participating in meetings and preparing presentation materials as necessary.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in either mechanical engineering, mechanical engineering technology, drafting and design, or other design discipline.
- Expert SolidWorks user with 7+ years’ experience, including weldments, sheet metal and other add-ins as needed.
- Experience with PDM Vault, management of large assemblies (100+ parts), configuration management, revision-controlled documents, and BOMs.
- Experience with prototyping, manufacturing, and assembly processes is desirable
- Proven ability to create and maintain cross-functional working relationships and communicating design concepts and information with technicians, engineers, and manufacturing personnel
- Solid modeling, drawing creation, and ability to follow ASME 14.100 drafting standards.
- Deep understanding of GD&T and application of ASME Y14.5 tolerancing.
- Ability to perform stack-up analysis between multi-part systems to ensure proper fit.
- Experience with weldments, electro-mechanical assemblies, machined parts, hydraulic and pneumatic systems desired.
- Experience designing with high temperature molten salt or other high temperature fluid systems highly desired
- Strong attention to detail and mathematical abilities, including ability to perform basic calculations for designs
- Ability to function in a fast-paced small company environment with minimal direction and adjust workload based upon changing priorities
- Proven team player with excellent interpersonal, written, presentation, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with highly collaborative team
- Ability to problem solve quickly and efficiently
- Ability to proactively collect, manage and transfer knowledge
- Ability to seek different and novel ways to create efficiencies when working on problems, challenges and issues
- Prioritizes and ensures safety of oneself and others
- Remaining in a stationary position, often standing, or sitting for prolonged periods
- Moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another
- Communicating with others to exchange information
- General office environment
- Noisy environments (if visiting manufacturing areas to collaborate)
- Accessing the accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of the work assigned
- High-concentration, demanding and fast-paced
- Autonomously driven and demanding atmosphere
Safety and PPE
- Reading and interpreting hazardous warning signs
- Reporting issues with equipment or unsafe conditions
- Color identification: detecting, distinguishing, recognizing and identifying colors
- Wearing proper PPE, to include face mask, face shields, gloves, safety shoes, as required
- Some travel may be required (up to 20%) to other Kairos Power offices and customer locations
- SolidWorks Professional certification, preferred
- Requires schedule flexibility
- Requires occasional non-standard work-week hours
- Requires occasional extended hours to support launch and critical project timelines
The salary range for this position is $97,500-$114,600 for employees working onsite at our Alameda, CA headquarters or $91,600-$107,800 for remote employees working in California. The range provided in this job posting represents the typical range or starting rate of candidates hired in California. Factors that may be used to determine your actual salary may include your education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, the market data for your work location, and a comparison to other employees already in the role.
About our Benefits
We know that we have some of the most talented and dedicated employees, and we believe in rewarding them accordingly. If you work here, full-time employees (excludes interns) expect to have access to the benefits below:
- Competitive compensation packages
- Medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and their dependents
- Paid Vacation
- 401(k) and pre-tax health insurance, dependent care, and commuter benefits (FSA)
Kairos Power is committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects the communities where we do business. Kairos Power is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We actively welcome people of different experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Kairos Power participates in E-Verify.
Candidates only, no recruiters or agencies please.
Note: You are applying for a position that is located in a facility that handles information that is subject to export control restrictions by the Department of Energy under 10 CFR Part 810. To work in this facility, you need to be authorized by the Department of Energy to access Part 810-controlled information. Foreign nationals who are citizens of countries that are not on the Department of Energy’s general authorization list (link below) are not permitted to work in our facility unless the Department of Energy issues an export control license to the company to permit that individual to have access to Part 810-controlled information. The following questions are intended to determine the licensing requirements that may apply. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/10/appendix-A_to_part_810
Kairos Power Headquarters Location
Kairos Power Company Size
Between 100 - 500 employees
Kairos Power Founded Year
Kairos Power Total Amount Raised
Kairos Power Funding RoundsView funding details