Senior Mechanical Design & Analysis Engineer - HeliogenView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Senior Mechanical Design & Analysis Engineer
- Job Location
- Long Beach, CA
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Heliogen is a renewable energy technology company focused on decarbonizing industry and empowering a sustainable civilization. Powered by AI, computer vision, and robotics, Heliogen’s concentrating solar thermal solutions turn sunlight into heat, steam, power or green hydrogen fuel to help industries such as mining, cement, steel, and transportation transition to clean energy. For ambitious business and technology professionals seeking to have a meaningful impact on climate change and the health of humanity and our planet, Heliogen offers the opportunity to address global challenges through collaboration with a world-class, dynamic team of forward-thinking leaders.
About this role:
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated Senior Mechanical Design & Analysis Engineer to join our product engineering team. In this role, you will be responsible for the design, analysis, and development of innovative heliostat designs that contribute to the efficient utilization of solar energy. Working closely with cross-functional teams, you will play a critical role in delivering next-generation heliostats for our sustainable energy projects, with an emphasis on high-rate manufacturing.
This is a hybrid or onsite role (3+ days a week onsite) in either Pasadena or Long Beach, CA
In this role, you will:
- Utilize your mechanical engineering expertise to analyze, design, and develop mechanical components and subsystems for heliostat systems, emphasizing high-rate manufacturing processes.
- Conduct comprehensive analysis and simulation using software such as Ansys, Nastran/Patran, or other commercial packages to evaluate and optimize the performance, structural integrity, and manufacturability of heliostat designs.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including Design, Manufacturing, Systems, Modeling, Testing, Supply Chain, and Installation, to ensure seamless integration and delivery of heliostat designs optimized for high-volume production.
- Take ownership of specific components or entire subsystems, managing the analysis and design process from concept to production, while considering the requirements of automated fabrication and assembly.
- Apply Design for Manufacturing (DFM) and Design for Assembly (DFA) principles to simplify and streamline manufacturing processes, reduce costs, and increase production efficiency.
- Mentor junior engineers and provide guidance on analysis techniques, design considerations, and manufacturing best practices.
- Conduct Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) to proactively identify and mitigate potential manufacturing issues, ensuring robust designs for high-volume production.
- Collaborate with the rest of the design team to translate analysis and test results into practical design improvements, optimizing performance and manufacturability.
- Stay organized and effectively communicate analysis findings, design changes, and technical requirements to stakeholders, including manufacturing teams, to ensure a smooth transition from analysis to production.
- Stay informed about industry trends and advancements in high-rate manufacturing technologies and analysis methods, incorporating relevant innovations into heliostat design processes.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or other technical discipline (or equivalent practical work experience).
- 7+ years of hands-on analysis and design work experience
- Proficiency in software like Ansys, Nastran/Patran, or other commercial packages for conducting finite element analysis (FEA) and simulation.
- Direct experience with high-volume fabrication methods such as sheet metal fabrication, stamping, casting, injection molding, welding, etc.
- Experience implementing Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design for Assembly (DFA), Poka-Yoke, and Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) principles.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Master's degree, or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or other technical discipline.
- Expertise in joint design/analysis and one or more high-volume joining technologies: welding (using AWS standards), automated fastening, clinching, adhesives.
- Experience in fast-paced early-stage organizations.
- Experience in the solar industry.
- Automotive or other experience designing high-volume products intended for high-rate, heavily automated fabrication/assembly.
Heliogen was created at Idealab, the leading technology incubator, and became a public company (NYSE: HLGN) in December 2021. For more information about Heliogen, please visit heliogen.com.
Heliogen Headquarters Location
Heliogen Company Size
Between 200 - 500 employees
Heliogen Founded Year
Heliogen Total Amount Raised
Heliogen Funding RoundsView funding details
Post Ipo Equity