Senior Engineering Manager, Storefront - RechargeView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Senior Engineering Manager, Storefront
- Job Location
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Who we are
Recharge is the leader in powering physical subscriptions, making it one of the most important ecommerce engines. Recharge powers over 50M subscriptions worldwide and has processed more than 10B in transactions. More than 15K brands such as Verve Coffee Roasters, Bokksu, Who Gives A Crap, Billie, and Bite Toothpaste Bits rely on Recharge daily to grow their businesses and delight their customers.
Recharge’s mission is to enable brands and merchants to form strong, lasting relationships with their customers through recurring purchases. As merchants seek ways to drive more direct sales and distribution through their channels and move away from a reliance on traditional online marketing strategies, Recharge has made it possible to grow businesses with seamless, recurring customer transactions.
Bootstrapped until 2020, Recharge is valued at over 2.1B dollars and is a double unicorn with a total raise of 277M dollars. Join us as we work with our merchants to define the future of ecommerce.
The Storefront Team at Recharge is responsible for storefront widgets. These inject Recharge features; Subscriptions, Bundles, and Loyalty benefits into our merchant’s checkout experience. They handle 2.5M+ sessions per day and are some of our highest scale components in our platform. Checkout performance is critical to driving merchant revenue. As a result our widgets require high performance and stability.
In addition to the front-end widgets, the team is also responsible for supporting back-end services consisting of a product CDN, products and plans api, product search, and product and contract sync.
Our Tech Stack: Python, Fastapi, Flask, Vue.js. React, Remix, GCP, SaaS, MySQL/NoSQL, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, Splunk, SignalFx, Sentry
Who you are
We recognize that there are a variety of personalities and work styles. Here are some facets of people who enjoy working at Recharge engineering:
- You love remote work, but not working alone. You love not commuting to work, but you also love collaborating to clarify, confirm, theorize, figure out, and decide on solutions to problems
- You love exploring ideas with rapid prototyping and prioritizing the ones that have an immediate business impact
- You love tackling challenges on different fronts like code, infrastructure, documentation, and evangelizing new testing tools and methodologies
- You love the fast-paced nature of the eCommerce world
- You love rapid iterative design, test and development while gaining context and understanding along the way. You can recognize when you know enough to take the next useful step to deliver value
- You are good with working around existing systems and developing solutions to new and difficult problems.
Execution: You want to get things done. You’re energized by getting product in front of customers, and prefer an iterative approach with regular deliveries to your stakeholders versus all-at-once major releases. You hold yourself and your team accountable for shipping regularly. You understand merchant feedback is key in building the right thing and are flexible to handle changes in direction.
Engineering excellence: You have experience leading teams in a variety of contexts, working with frontend, backend, infrastructure, and data. You’re confident reviewing your team’s PRs, discussing optimization strategies with them, and getting into the details as needed to make sure a high-quality product goes out the door.
Communication: You are a sound communicator across multiple mediums, including in-person, video, chat, and written documentation. You understand that a major part of your role as a manager is listening to others, synthesizing information, making decisions, and effectively communicating those decisions to others.
Pragmatic: You productively work with your leadership, your product counterparts, and your team to deal with the realities on the ground on a day-to-day basis. You know plans change and markets change, and you believe you have what it takes to respond effectively to them.
People management: Your presence levels up the team. You help other engineers make sound decisions, improve the way they collaborate with others, and stretch themselves. You set high standards on hiring because you know every hire changes the chemistry of the team, and you want your teams to consistently be improving.
Kindness and respect: You believe that there’s a right way to be a leader, and it comes from having respect for yourself, your team, your leaders, and your stakeholders. You trust your team to succeed, and when you need to give tough feedback, you do so in a direct, candid way that respects and elevates the recipient. You expect this same behavior from your own leadership.
Ambitious: You’re not going to be content in an engineering manager role forever. You want to succeed, and you want to do the right things to succeed with us. You’re looking for a role where you can make a meaningful impact.
What you’ll do
- Live by and champions all of our core values (#ownership, #empathy, #day-one, and #humility)
- Manage a first-class engineering team that will scale as the company and business grows, identifying and filling any team gaps
- Develop a team-oriented, supportive culture with a strong focus on creating a working environment that fosters collaboration, open communication, and delivering outcomes
- Be responsible for team output and hands-on day-to-day reviewing code
- Constantly improve team productivity, refine agile processes, and create methods to increase efficiency
- Investigate, analyze, and evangelize programming methodologies such as test-driven development
- Perform personnel management tasks for a team of developers, including performance reviews, compliance with company policies, mentoring, and helping plan career growth
- Train new software engineers on our best practices, standards, culture, and policies
- Guide the team through their own career development as the organization scales
- Collaborate with Product in setting roadmap and priorities to ensure deliverables are met as well as raising concerns identified early on
- Champion good habits (development techniques, security, tech debt balance, TDD, and agile habits) within your team; improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Embrace rapid iterative design, testing, and development to gain context and understanding along the way informing the next useful step in delivering value
- Encourage active participation in all phases of the Product Development Lifecycle, and work with project management to remove impediments and provide visibility to stakeholders
- Apply your own knowledge and experience to work through engineering challenges
- Drive teams to succeed in the dynamic engineering environment of e-commerce
- Apply your own knowledge and experience to work through engineering challenges
What you’ll bring
- 7+ years of relevant development experience in fast-paced environments
- A knack for engineering simple solutions to solve complex problems
- Willingness to lean in as needed when duty calls
- Self-driven; pragmatic; a passion for taking ownership of your work and delivering outcomes
- Ability to work remote-first in a high-growth company
- Ability to demonstrate high self-sufficiency to take on and complete projects in a timely manner
- Experience mentoring junior engineers
- Track record of meeting schedules on time; clearly defining deliverables and timetables, with demonstrated ability to balance multiple priorities in complex environments and manage teams to successful project completion
- Demonstrated ability as an effective mentor and coach who understands how to successfully integrate into a team of talented developers
- Exceptional analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to learn and experiment to reach a desired outcome
- Typically, 7+ years of relevant development experience in fast-paced environments
- 4+ years experience managing high-performing agile development teams
- 3+ years prior experience programming in at least one OO language (Python preferred)
- 2+ years experience in cloud-native environments such as GCP, AWS, or Azure
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Prior e-commerce experience preferred
That said, we know people have varied backgrounds. If you don't meet 100% of the requirements, but you know you can do the job, we believe in you! We'd love for you to apply anyway, and tell us why you'd be a great addition to the team.
Recharge Payments is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with our principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Recharge Payments prohibits any form of workplace harassment.
Transparency in Coverage
This link leads to the Anthem Blue Cross machine-readable files that are made available in response to the federal Transparency in Coverage Rule and includes network negotiated rates for all items and services; allowed amounts for OON items, services and prescription drugs; and negotiated rates and historical prices for network prescription drugs (delayed). EIN 80-6245138. This link leads to the Kaiser machine-readable files.
Recharge Headquarters Location
San Francisco, CA
Recharge Company Size
Between 5 - 10 employees
Recharge Founded Year
Recharge Total Amount Raised
Recharge Funding RoundsView funding details