Senior Director, Brand Marketing - 23andMeView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Senior Director, Brand Marketing
- Job Location
- Sunnyvale, California
- Job Description
With the world’s largest database of more than ten million genotyped customers, 23andMe is at the forefront of using human genetics to advance biomedical research and transform healthcare. We are looking for a seasoned executive who has a proven, and deep background of all things brand marketing. A great communicator, visionary who can understand consumers and help brands meet their full potential. This candidate will have experience with agencies (Ideally worked at one) and have also worked for a brand in-house. Has an interest in consumer health and some experience with subscription products, the internet and online services generally. The ideal candidate has experience with all forms of advertising and communications: television, radio, direct mail, online, search, PR and earned media.
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What You’ll Do
Reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer, the Senior Director, Brand Marketing is responsible for all aspects 23andMe brands, including the newly-acquired telemedicine brand Lemonaid Health. Starting with the company’s positioning, member base and current and planned services, this role will evolve the brand – key messages, voice, tone, look and feel, offline and online advertising, brand alliances – to continue building the company’s brand equity. In addition, you will manage the teams and agencies responsible for expressing the 23andMe messages in all advertising and consumer-facing messaging.
- Marketing strategy: Work cross functionally to identify and understand business objectives, translate them to marketing strategies, provide marketing solutions to business teams, and keep direct report team and others up to speed on company initiatives and strategies.
- Marketing research: Work with 23andMe’s insights team to develop hypotheses, test ideas and create brand marketing strategies that are informed by consumer research.
- Brand development: Set the direction for, and manage, the 23andMe brand and any additional brands the company develops or acquires along the way. You will evolve the story, look and feel of the brand, as the company continues to grow. This will be a combination of left brain and right brain work, marrying the market opportunities with the products the company offers.
- Brand evangelism: Ensure all company communications are aligned with the brand by managing guidelines, assets and other materials for syndication throughout the company and our partners.
- Team leadership: You will lead a team that will develop annual, quarterly and short-term program plans, which will be put into effect by channel marketers (e.g., email, website). You will develop all campaign strategies, creative assets and communications tactics, as well as oversee creative development.
- Agencies: Recruit and manage agency relationships and contractor in your areas including creative, creative services, production, research and other agencies.
What You’ll Bring
- A strong interest in consumer health
- A minimum of 15 years of brand marketing experience, including leading teams, evolving brands and developing campaigns. Agency experience a plus.
- Amazing (almost breathtaking) writing, presenting and oral communications skills.
- Deep bench of agencies and vendors you would love to work with again. Maybe some junior marketers as well (who are also dying to work with you).
- A rare combination of left brain and right brain. But slightly more right brain.
- Experience and a strong POV when it comes to broadcast advertising creative, digital creative, earned media.
- Deep interest in consumers and what makes them tick.
- Evolved sense of design. Strong interest in it.
- Assertive style and independent point of view, but also the ability to understand and collaborate with others.
- Ability to identify, understand and work around hurdles that may come up from time to time.
- Experience with regulated businesses helpful.
- Experience in a startup environment. Ability to be both player and coach. Experience working against deadlines. Willing to roll up sleeves and work alongside junior team members.
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe Headquarters Location
Mountain View, CA
23andMe Company Size
Between 500 - 1,000 employees
23andMe Founded Year
23andMe Total Amount Raised
23andMe Funding RoundsView funding details
Post Ipo Equity