Senior Data Scientist - Algorithms - AirbnbView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Senior Data Scientist - Algorithms
- Job Location
- United States
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence are at the heart of the Airbnb product. From Trust to Payments, and from Customer Service to Marketing we rely on ML to ensure that guests and hosts have the best possible experience with Airbnb.
The Difference You Will Make:
As an ML Data Scientist in the Platform team you will work with a diverse collection of structured and unstructured data to design, build, and support machine learning models. You will collaborate with a strong team of engineers, product managers, designers and operation agents to incorporate these models into scalable and robust systems that enable exceptional product experiences.
The richness of Airbnb's data, the complexity of its marketplace and the variety innate in our product mean that we need to operate at the state of the art of Machine Learning practice. We are committed to investing in long term innovation to solve the complex problems we face, and to do that we need the very best experts in ML and AI to join us.
A Typical Day:
- Operate on the cutting edge of modern ML and build novel high-ROI features such as embeddings that can be shared in use cases across the company
- Developing NLP models to add intelligence to Airbnb's interactions with guests and hosts in messaging, customer service and more.
- Building machine learning models to detect high risk activities like account takeovers, fake contents and fraudulent transactions, or high risk entities like fake accounts or stolen cards.
- Utilizing Deep Learning techniques for advanced feature engineering and model building; e.g. how to model for user behavior sequences.
- Working cross functionally with operations and product teams to define and collect labels for model training; leverage active learning and other human-in-the-loop techniques to improve ML efficiency.
- Developing machine learning models to interact with the right users using the right content at the right time through the right marketing channels to optimize Airbnb’s long term business impact, such as Guest Booking Propensity Model, Churn Prediction Model, Guest to Host Propensity Model.
- Advanced degree in a quantitative field, e.g. Computer Science, Operations Research, Mathematics
- 5+ years industry experience developing machine learning models at scale
- Experience taking research prototypes to production.
- Proven ability to design analytical solutions to complex business problems and to partner cross-functional peers to tailor those solutions for the greatest possible impact.
- Deep understanding of ML domains (e.g. NLP, computer vision, recommendation, anomaly detection, graph learning), algorithms (eg. deep learning, gradient boosted trees, optimization), and best practices, (e.g. skew minimization, A/B testing, feature engineering, model selection)
- Strong programming (Python / Scala / Java / C++ or equivalent) and data engineering skills
- Utilize OSS ML technologies such as PyTorch, TensorFlow, Spark, Airflow
- Versatility to communicate clearly with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Publications or presentations in recognized Machine Learning and Data Mining journals/conferences is a plus.
How We'll Take Care of You:
The starting base pay for this role is between $152,000 and $203,500. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. . This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We strive to also provide a disability inclusive application and interview process. If you are a candidate with a disability and require reasonable accommodation in order to submit an application,, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name, the role you’re applying for and the accommodation necessary to assist you with the recruiting process.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
Airbnb Headquarters Location
San Francisco, CA
Airbnb Company Size
Between 6,132 - 6,132 employees
Airbnb Founded Year
Airbnb Total Amount Raised
Airbnb Funding RoundsView funding details