Senior Counsel - GeniesView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Senior Counsel
- Job Location
- Los Angeles, CA
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Genies is culture’s leading avatar technology company empowering humans to create and own their own avatar ecosystems. Genies provides tools (Genies Avatar Creator OS & AR Dev Kit) that allows users & developers to create their own avatars, avatar wearable fashion lines, avatar worlds, and avatar interactive experiences. The company has 99% celebrity avatar market share through its partnerships with Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group as their “official avatar and digital goods provider” with thousands of Genie creators including Justin Bieber, Migos, Cardi B, and J Balvin. Bringing the power of digital goods and authenticity to culture, Genies avatar ecosystem is built with Dapper Labs "Flow Blockchain," allowing consumers and creators to individually own their avatar ecosystem creations (i.e. avatar fashion lines) and sell this new age of digital content to the masses. Genies has raised $200M from investors such as Silver Lake, BOND, NEA, and Breyer Capital.
Seated in our Los Angeles based headquarters, Genies is looking for a Senior Counsel to join its Legal Team. Reporting to the General Counsel, the Senior Counsel is responsible for providing product and commercial legal support to the entire business and will work closely with product and business teams to drive growth and success for the company. You will advise on complex business and product initiatives, and play an integral role supporting the company on a variety internal and external facing initiatives. If you thrive in creative and disruptive consumer product environments then this Senior Counsel opportunity is for you. We believe that the future of consumer social experiences will be consumer, creator and developer driven, and we are looking for a thought partner who can assist us in accomplishing our vision of transforming digital identity, representation, and social experiences.
What You’ll be Doing:
- Counsel all Genies products, assessing and advising on new products and technology, from early development through launch, implementation and further innovation.
- Analyze potential legal, compliance and regulatory risks and requirements on a broad range of legal areas, including intellectual property, privacy, payments, consumer product, content moderation, accessibility, security, and influencer marketing.
- Draft, negotiate and execute a wide range of legal agreements, ranging from the routine to the highly complex, including the development of foundational templates as well as work key content license, development, and technology license agreements.
- Work closely with cross functional teams to brainstorm solutions to roadblocks and accelerate projects.
- Contribute to the development of legal positions on novel issues and pursue innovative solutions to advance business and product goals as a key strategic partner and thought leader.
- Provide practical and risk-tolerant analysis taking into account the company’s position and long term goals..
- Support the development and implementation of scalable legal processes to efficiently handle the company’s legal needs and quickly find legal solutions.
- Have the opportunity to participate in key legal projects across the legal department.
What You Should Have:
- Bachelor’s degree and a Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school
- At least six years of relevant work experience in a law firm or in-house legal department, including some in-house experience, ideally in the social, user generated, gaming and/or consumer tech
- Broad range of experience in both product counseling and commercial agreements, preferably covering some of the following topics: intellectual property, privacy, consumer protection, payments, and marketing.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and exceptional drive, precision, and attention to detail.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and have the ability to innovate and create solutions.
- Curiosity and eagerness to learn new things.
- Excellent communication and listening skills (verbal and written)
- Accountable and comfortable giving and receiving direct feedback.
- Experience working collaboratively with cross functional colleagues as well as other legal team members.
- Ability to exercise appropriate judgment, including determining when issues should be escalated.
- Strong relationship building skills and abilities.
- Highly autonomous and a self starter, with well developed time and self-management skills, ability
- Very organized, with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
How Genies will support you
Genies is a well-funded, growing start-up that cares deeply about each of our employees' growth and success. Our roles and their responsibilities are created with a breadth of scope that introduces each employee to exciting new challenges and opportunities that a growing start-up encounters. The actual base pay is dependent upon a number of factors, including: professional background, training, transferable skills, work experience, education, location, business and product needs, and market demand. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. Full-time employees may also be eligible for equity compensation, in addition to a robust health, wellness, and benefits package.
Starting Salary Range: $147,000 to $233,000 USD
Here's why you'll love working at Genies:
- You'll work with a team that you’ll be able to learn from and grow with, including support for your own professional development
- You'll be at the helm of your own career, shaping it with your own innovative contributions to a nascent team and product with flexible hours and a work from home policy
- You'll enjoy the culture and perks of a startup, with the stability of being well funded
- Comprehensive health insurance for you and your family (Anthem + Kaiser Options Available), Dental and Vision Insurance
- Competitive salaries for all full time employees
- Unlimited paid time off, sick time, and paid company holidays, in addition to paid parental leave, bereavement leave, and jury duty leave for full-time employees
- Health & wellness support through programs such as monthly wellness reimbursement
- Working in a brand new, bright, open-environment and fun office space - there’s even a slide!
- Choice of MacBook or windows laptop
Genies is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.
Genies Headquarters Location
Los Angeles, CA
Genies Company Size
Between 90 - 500 employees
Genies Founded Year
Genies Total Amount Raised
Genies Funding RoundsView funding details