Senior Backend Engineer - WellthView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Senior Backend Engineer
- Job Location
- Remote (US Only)
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Wellth is a pioneering digital health company that seeks to motivate and incentivize healthy habits through individualized care plans. Our approach draws on a unique combination of behavioral economics, habit science, and cutting-edge technology to drive positive behavior and habit change among some of the most underserved and high-needs patient populations in the US. Our work has produced demonstrable results, with several large health insurers reporting significant reductions in hospitalization rates, in some cases by up to 44%. Our ambition is to be more than just another digital health startup; we aspire to be a category leader in the $88B health outcomes market, singularly focused on improving the lives and medical outcomes of historically hard-to-engage populations. Our work has an immediate impact on people's lives every day, we have served over 30,000 patients, prevented an estimated 9,000 days in the hospital and 320 lives.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you build important features in our API and associated backend services to keep our business logic elegant and our data flowing steadily. By working hard and working smart, you implement the systems that deliver millions of dollars of rewards per year to our members, dramatically improving their health outcomes and their quality of life.
You operate with autonomy, taking user stories from our product team and turning them into well-tested TypeScript code and GraphQL API queries and mutations, which flow into our weekly staging releases and out to our internal dogfooding testers and QA team. When you find bugs or architecture inefficiencies, you create tasks to track them and work with our product and engineering leadership to prioritize those tasks against the rest of our backlog.
You thrive on the freedom and responsibility that comes with working at a growing startup. You take ownership of features from start to finish, and you collaborate well with our architect and other experienced engineers to design and build high-quality and maintainable applications.
You’ll report to our Director of Engineering, and you’ll work closely with our Product Managers, QA Analyst, and other engineers. We use an agile scrumban process, with 2-week sprints and daily standups.
Our perfect hire has built the backend APIs and data systems to power mobile and web apps used by hundreds of thousands of users or more in high-sensitivity environments, including integrations with vendor systems like Salesforce, Customer.io, Twilio, and more. Don’t have all of that? That’s ok! We’ve been at this for many years now and can bring you up to speed quickly on any missing elements. Our team values openness and learning, with a focus on being excellent together for the sake of the health plan members that we serve.
This role is fully remote, with typically a few days of travel per quarter to meet with the team in-person in Los Angeles. Are you in LA and you want to spend more time in an office? We’ve got one in Playa Vista, and you can use it as much as you’d like! Our team has strong remote-first practices and tools and will continue that focus for the team while making a great gathering space available for our LA-local folks.
- Take ownership of architecting and building key features and bug fixes
- Work with our Product Managers to ideate and groom potential new user experiences and business logic
- Monitor our production backend systems for stability and performance
- Identify and prioritize technical debt for continuous improvement
- Collaborate with and mentor other engineers
- Follow Secure SDLC guidelines to maintain our HITRUST certification
- SQL and relational databases (we use Postgres)
- Experience building and scaling secure GraphQL APIs to work at scale
- Familiarity with search and queuing systems (ElasticSearch, RabbitMQ)
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Experience working with healthcare products and data is a big plus
Interests & Extra Credit
- Gaining/having experience with ML/AI tools (Roboflow, SageMaker)
- Gaining/having experience integrating with Salesforce, Customer.io, Twilio
- Gaining/having experience with React / React Native
- Comfort with security frameworks (e.g. HITRUST) and working with sensitive data
- Using cloud monitoring and debugging tools (Datadog, VividCortex)
- Gaining/having familiarity with data warehousing and pipeline tools (Redshift, S3, Lambda)
- DevOps experience (AWS, Aptible, Docker, CircleCI)
Education and Experience
- BS Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of backend engineering
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
Some of the great perks of working at Wellth
- Be a part of the solution that is helping to fix all aspects of healthcare (from provider to payer to most importantly, the person seeking care)
- Robust paid time off and generous parental leave program
- Competitive salary & commission structure
- Health, dental, vision insurance along with FSA/HSA plans
- The ability to have a positive impact on people who need it most
- The support of a highly dedicated team focused on building the future of healthcare
Base Compensation: 150,000 - 180,000K
Wellth is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
Wellth Headquarters Location
Los Angeles, CA
Wellth Company Size
Between 20 - 100 employees
Wellth Founded Year
Wellth Total Amount Raised
Wellth Funding RoundsView funding details