Senior Backend Engineer, Protect - HiyaView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Senior Backend Engineer, Protect
- Job Location
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
At Hiya we are on a mission to modernize voice with trust, identity, and intelligence. We're protecting everyday people from spam and fraud calls, connecting businesses with their customers, and helping carriers secure their networks for all. In 2015, Hiya founder Alex Algard saw the increasing need for innovation in the voice channel and began building the first caller ID and spam blocking apps for mobile while at Whitepages. In early 2016, Hiya spun out of Whitepages and brought its technology to market through Samsung Smart Call, the first-ever network-based spam solution with AT&T, and the Hiya consumer app. Three years later in 2019, we brought Hiya connect to market, a B2B branded call service that enables enterprise companies to connect to the consumers they are trying to reach. The combination of Protect, Connect, and the Hiya app has resulted in the world's largest Voice Performance Platform with over 200M monthly active users.
We are headquartered in Seattle and have offices in London and Budapest.
About the Position
The Senior Backend Engineer is an Individual contributor position responsible for designing, coding and operating high performance data processing systems and backend services for our customer facing web services on the JVM platform (primarily Scala). Our ideal candidate would have the skills and desire to understand our entire stack, from our cloud platform (AWS) through data storage technologies (such as DynamoDB, Redshift) and stream processing (Kafka) all the way to Scala/akka based services.
About the Team
The Hiya Protect team has built a leading fraud detection system for phone calls, used by millions of users around the Globe through mobile and network integrations. Our mission is to eliminate unwanted calls and bring trust and intelligence back to the phone calls by using modern technologies and machine learning. Our innovative platform is able to process hundreds of thousands requests and runs half million models per second.
What You’ll Do
- Build and operate world class services in the field of phone fraud detection
- Work at a supportive and fast-growing startup with a fantastic team.
- Lead initiatives from design through implementation to deployment to unlock new potentials
- Make an impact in the lives of tens of millions of consumers on a daily basis
- Collaborate and learn from other great team members, coach our rising stars
- Support in developing your skills and accelerating your career
- Help in creating the long term vision of our architecture
What You’ll Need to Succeed
- Experience or interest in functional programming in a typed setting;
- A philosophy of iteration and continuous improvement;
- Experience building highly scalable and -available production services;
- BSc or M.S in a relevant field or 3-5+ years relevant work experience;
- Excellent communication and self-organization skills incl. working within and with other remote teams;
- Familiar with data storage- and processing systems (such as Postresql, Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon Redshift, Apache Spark, ElasticSearch, Redis);
- Experience with *nix.
- Proficient at collaborating and communicating with both local and remote team members in English and Hungarian
You will have a fast start if you have experience with:
- Cloud environments (AWS)
- Big-data technologies and platforms (Spark, Athena/Presto, Databricks)
- Modern deployment environments (Kubernetes, Docker)
- High performance HTTP APIs
- Powerful reactive, concurrent, and distributed applications (akka)
The requirements listed in the job descriptions are guidelines. You don’t have to satisfy every requirement or meet every qualification listed. If your skills are transferable we would still love to hear from you.
- Start Date: Immediately
- Status: Full-time (40 hours per week)
- Location: Budapest
- Department: Engineering
- Reports to: Engineering Manager of the Hiya Protect team
- Direct Reports: No
- Private Retirement/Pension program
- Generali Private health care
- Donation Matching for a charity of your choice (up to $500/ year)
- WFH equipment stipend
- $1,000/year in Professional Development funds
- Online English Classes
- Gym membership
- Flexible working model (4 days a month is required in the office. In the rest of the month you decide whether you are working from home or from the office.)
This position is based in Budapest, Hungary
We are building a team with a variety of perspectives, identities, and professional experiences. We evaluate great candidates through a business lens and we strongly believe that diversity and unique perspectives make our company stronger, more dynamic, and a great place to build a career.
Our team has won various awards over the last 4 years from Built-in Seattle and Seattle Business Week to #86 on Deloitte Technology Fast 500 and Forbes #1 Startup Employer. Here at Hiya, we are a people-centric company focused on helping each and every one of our employees grow both personally and professionally. We feel that creating a team culture of support and empowerment to challenge the status quo results in an energized and passionate team that is continuously challenged and passionate about the work they are doing. You'll love working here if you are looking for an innovative challenge that is disrupting an industry. Come join us!
Hiya Headquarters Location
Hiya Company Size
Between 100 - 200 employees
Hiya Founded Year