Senior Automation Engineer - Aether BiomachinesView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Senior Automation Engineer
- Job Location
- Menlo Park, CA
- Job Description
This is a (minimum four days/week in office) full-time position based in our Menlo Park, CA office. This position reports to the Director of Automation of the Company.
Aether Biomachines is on a mission to build the post-scarcity future using peptide-based nanotechnology as the driving force for the next industrial revolution. By creating the world's most advanced high-throughput robotic laboratory, we are generating data at unprecedented scales to fuel deep learning algorithms. We're assembling a diverse and dynamic team of self-starters, engineers, sci-fi enthusiasts, and visionaries, and we invite you to join us on this journey.
We're breaking barriers in laboratory automation to power world-class machine learning models with faster, broader, and more robust robotic sample processing systems. We aim to transform peptides from niche catalysts into general-purpose molecular assemblers using our platform, enabling a future of abundance for the human race.
In this role, you will collaborate closely with a team of Automation Engineers, as well as technical experts across the company, to design and implement cutting-edge automation solutions for our synthetic biology laboratory.
What we are looking for in you
- Ability to participate in (and potentially lead) large, high priority cross functional, strategic automation projects that have a significant impact on the company’s direction and growth
- A willingness to assist and guide a team in the design, development, and implementation of advanced laboratory automation tools, instruments, and technologies, including liquid handlers, cold storage systems, and integrated systems with robotic arms
- Experience in the design and execution of experiments to evaluate new instruments, validate process conditions, and troubleshoot workflows
- Eager to support day-to-day operations by assisting in system error recovery to ensure the completion of processes
- Skilled with diagnosing, documenting, and correcting hardware and software problems related to integrated automated systems
- A keen ability to anticipate issues and blockers proactively. Translating insights into solutions
- Enthusiasm with supporting and being a mentor to junior Automation Engineers, testing automation hardware and processes, and supporting routine factory production runs.
- Is detail oriented with SOP creation and the development and performance of IQ/OQ/PQ procedures.
- Exemplifies a can-do attitude to solve new and challenging problems in a fast-paced environment.
- Values and willing to maintain a safe, efficient, and organized lab environment
What you will be doing
- Integrate or build the best and latest laboratory automation tools, instruments, and technologies.
- Design and develop new, automated, and efficient lab processes for scaling up production to meet data requirements for our machine learning models
- Engineer end-to-end sample processing solutions, including liquid handling, compound storage, and management
- Design, iterate on, and manufacture custom hardware fixtures needed to enable more efficient workflows
- Apply engineering best practices to technical projects to ensure products meet all requirements
- Participate in the day to day running of production test runs on automated workflows: assisting with data processing, data entry into LIMS, and documenting work completed
- Perform other related duties as assigned and based on the team's needs
What you must have
- Experience with using, programming (with vendor native software), and maintaining liquid handling robots
- Experience working in teams on high priority automation projects
- Experience designing, building, implementing, or validating processes on fully integrated robotic systems
- Experience developing robust automated sample processing pipelines or assays, including process controls and QC
- Experience with one or more automation scheduling software (Green Button Go, Overlord, Momentum, Cellario, etc.)
- Experience operating, maintaining, and repairing automated sealers, peelers, centrifuges, and other common automation equipment
- Experience with general laboratory automation, process engineering, and/or system engineering in a wet lab environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Basic knowledge relating to proteins and DNA
What you should have
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Software Engineering, Biology, Molecular Biology, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 8+ years of experience working with automated laboratory robotic equipment
- Experience designing, testing, and deploying high throughput automated robotic systems and workcells
- Experience in rapidly growing start-ups
- Experience in connecting automation platforms with laboratory information management systems (LIMS)
- Enzyme, Protein, or Molecular biology experience
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications?
We encourage anyone who thinks they would excel at Aether to apply, no matter their background or how they identify.
Benefits and Perks
- Full suite of health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
- Ancillary benefits, including 401(k), HSA/FSA programs
- Commuter Benefits: Aether will match up to $100/month (Commuter benefits can be allocated towards commute expenses, parking expenses, or both)
- Learning & Development: You may purchase up to $50/month in books or other learning materials without any prior approval
- Access to the gym at our Menlo Park location
- Access to our Menlo Park Labs Shuttle & Parking
- Unlimited PTO and 11 Paid Company Holidays
- Stocked kitchen with snacks and drinks
- Monthly team bagel breakfast
- Paid meals every day while you work
- Flexible work schedule to accommodate you/your family's needs
- Quarterly company-wide events and activities
- Fun--and useful--swag!
Our company values diversity and believes diverse teams make innovation possible. We work on complex, difficult problems with no linear or clear solutions. We believe that a diverse team can bring different perspectives and approaches, and whose experiences reflect the full set of clients we seek to serve. As such, Aether Biomachines, Inc. is committed to a diverse representation among our employees. Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Aether may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. This position is based in our California location.This is the pay range for this position that we reasonably expect to pay. Individual compensation is based on various factors, including experience, education, skillset, and geographic location. This range is for the SF Bay Area, California location, and may be adjusted to the labor market in other geographic areas.SF Bay Area Pay Range$135,000—$165,000 USD
Aether Biomachines Headquarters Location
Menlo Park, CA
Aether Biomachines Company Size
Between 20 - 50 employees
Aether Biomachines Founded Year
Aether Biomachines Total Amount Raised
Aether Biomachines Funding RoundsView funding details