Scientist / Sr. Scientist, Machine Learning & Computational Biology (Structural Biology) - 23andMeView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Scientist / Sr. Scientist, Machine Learning & Computational Biology (Structural Biology)
- Job Location
- Chicago, Illinois
- Job Description
Who We Are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team in South San Francisco leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
We are seeking exceptional researchers with backgrounds in machine learning, statistics, genomics, bioinformatics, and/or computational biology. Successful candidates will have a passion for independent research and technical problem-solving, as well as a demonstrated ability to develop and implement research-based ideas.
Note: Though our Therapeutics office is located in South San Francisco, CA, this position will be remotely based in the Chicago, IL area. We will consider exceptional candidates throughout the United States.
What You’ll Do
In this new role, you will be responsible for designing and developing new algorithms and analysis tools that link genetic variation to protein structure changes, cellular function, and, ultimately, phenotype. You will combine genetic variation information with a wide range of protein annotations, such as those from Protein Data Bank, UniProt, Pfam, and others. You will also create protein structures using frameworks such as trRosetta, AlphaFold, OpenFold, and others.
You will also analyze deep mutational scanning data and various protein-protein docking scoring functions. You will collaborate to complete complex projects and present findings to other 23andMe scientific teams as well as the broader scientific community. It is important to note that specific domain knowledge is less important in this role than genuine intellectual curiosity, strong research skills, and a track record of scientific innovation and achievement.
What You’ll Bring
- Ph.D. in the physical or life sciences (e.g. Chemistry, Biology, Physics), or quantitative field (e.g. Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics)
- Deep understanding of computational biology, structural biology, or machine learning, as well as a track record of academic or industrial accomplishments, including the development of novel methods and analytical approaches for protein structure data analysis.
- Strong R or Python skills, and a working knowledge of SQL
- Experience with supervised and unsupervised machine learning algorithms
- Exceptional communication skills, with an ability to convey complex technical concepts and scientific insights to diverse audiences
- Ability to work in dynamic team-oriented environment
- Experience conducting research in relevant disease areas such as metabolic diseases, immune diseases, or oncology is a plus
- Experience with Python-based machine learning libraries (Pytorch, TensorFlow, etc.) highly desirable
- For Sr. Scientist level, will bring substantial industry experience including leading one or more large scale collaborative projects
Job title will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe Headquarters Location
Mountain View, CA
23andMe Company Size
Between 500 - 1,000 employees
23andMe Founded Year
23andMe Funding Rounds
Post Ipo Equity