Scientist, Mass Spectrometry - Hexagon BioView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Scientist, Mass Spectrometry
- Job Location
- Menlo Park, CA
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
About Hexagon Bio
Hexagon Bio leverages a genomics-based platform and understanding of natural product evolution to develop next-generation medicines for human disease. Hexagon Bio's algorithms identify gene clusters that encode the machinery needed to produce specialized metabolites that can be harnessed against human disease targets. Our unique platform allows us to produce new chemical leads based on these findings. We use data science, genomics, synthetic biology, and automation to discover potent, evolutionarily refined small molecules and their cognate targets from fungal genomes.
We are searching for an analytical/organic Scientist who is truly excited about developing medicines against novel targets. The ideal candidate is an LC-MS expert with expertise in sample extraction and preparation for metabolomic analysis, high throughput LC-MS data analysis, and dereplication of MS data sets. We would like a candidate with experience in the maintenance and operation of HPLC-HRMS systems and the curation and analysis of the data generated. In addition, knowledgeable of microbial natural product biosynthetic pathways and confident working with metabolomics software analysis and processing databases.
As a mass spectrometry and metabolomics expert on the Natural Products Chemistry Team at Hexagon Bio, you will join a group of independent scientists motivated to generate novel medicines. You would work in close collaboration with a visionary team at the intersection of chemistry, biology, and technology, with backgrounds in natural products chemistry, computational biology, software engineering, automation engineering, molecular biology, and biochemistry.
- Planning, developing and executing end-to-end liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry workflows based on HPLC-HRMS/MS for the discovery of novel compounds in microbial extracts
- Working with an interdisciplinary team with world-class expertise in data science and biology to develop and apply an untargeted metabolomics pipeline to identify new molecules
- Ph.D. in the fields of Natural Products Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, or a related field, with an emphasis on untargeted metabolomics
- Extensive hands-on experience with the operation and maintenance of HPLC-HRMS systems
- Experience in establishing metabolomics workflows to examine complex natural products in microbial cultures, including experimental planning, sample preparation, data acquisition, data analysis, and interpretation
- Skilled with automated tools for the analysis of HPLC-MS/MS data and untargeted metabolomics (XCMS, GNPS, etc)
- Willingness to work closely with colleagues on Hexagon's Data Team to improve and execute our proprietary untargeted metabolomics pipeline
- Willingness to interface with lab automation systems
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to build transparent and collaborative relationships across the company
- Exceptional interpersonal and management skills that foster collaboration, teamwork, scientific excellence, and rigorous innovation
- Ability to work at Menlo Park, CA location
What We Offer:
- A flexible and dynamic work environment, where you pave your own path; Hexagon cultivates the unique strengths of employees at all levels and provides mobility across departments.
- Weekly “All Hands Meetings” provide an opportunity to share company and team updates. These meetings are rooted in our value of transparency and designed to foster a culture of collaboration, curiosity, and open communication.
- Discretionary paid time-off policy & paid holidays
- Competitive compensation and a robust benefits package: a comprehensive suite of medical, dental, and vision insurance plans through TriNet, which offers additional voluntary benefits (pet insurance, accident insurance, home & auto insurance, and more).
- Equity and a 401(k) plan.
- Rapid career advancement for driven performers.
- Access to scientific conferences all over the country, throughout the year.
- A range of amenities, courtesy of the Menlo Park Labs business park including shuttle, gym, rock-climbing wall, pool, sports courts, cafe, bike lockers, and free EV charging stations.
- Opportunities to engage with the Hexagon community through team-building events like our monthly Hexagon Happy Hour and holiday parties.
Hexagon Bio is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.
Hexagon Bio Headquarters Location
Menlo Park, CA
Hexagon Bio Company Size
Between 50 - 100 employees
Hexagon Bio Founded Year
Hexagon Bio Total Amount Raised
Hexagon Bio Funding RoundsView funding details