Scientist I / Scientist II, Computational Biology - 23andMeView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Scientist I / Scientist II, Computational Biology
- Job Location
- South San Francisco, California
- Job Description
Who We Are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team in South San Francisco leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including in oncology, immunology, neurology, metabolic and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com.
We are seeking an exceptional quantitative scientist with extensive experience in computational biology to join our collaborative, cross-functional research team focused on discovery of novel therapeutic targets and their development in our laboratories. Ideal candidates will have experience analyzing large public and internally generated functional genomics datasets using the best practices in machine learning or statistics. They will use rigorous quantitative reasoning, creativity, and understanding of molecular biology to develop computational tools to analyze high-throughput functional data and integrate human genetics and functional genomics to drive target discovery.
Join our Computational Biology team as we continue to push the envelope on what’s possible in genetics-based drug discovery!
Who You’ll Do
- Develop computational methods to analyze high-throughput functional genomics data.
- Work collaboratively with members of Computational Biology and Functional Genomics teams on experimental design, pipeline design, data QC and analysis.
- Perform integrative analysis of public and in-house generated functional genomics data in order to elucidate disease biology.
- Extend existing target discovery efforts to incorporate additional data types and novel analysis methods.
What You’ll Bring
- Ph.D. in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Computer Science, Statistics or a related quantitative field.
- Strong quantitative skills and a background in machine learning or statistical data analysis.
- Proficiency with tools and methods for processing, analysis and interpretation of functional sequencing data (RNA-seq, ATAC-seq, ChIP-seq or similar).
- Hands-on experience working with very large scale *omics datasets.
- Experience developing data analysis software in R.
- Exceptional communication skills, with an ability to convey complex computational results to colleagues from a wide range of life sciences backgrounds.
- Experience with analysis of scRNA-seq or snATAC-seq data.
- Experience in human genetics and GWAS, and interpretation and fine mapping of genetic association signals.
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience.
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe Headquarters Location
Mountain View, CA
23andMe Company Size
Between 500 - 1,000 employees
23andMe Founded Year
23andMe Funding Rounds
Post Ipo Equity