Research Diversity and Collaborations Summer Intern (Remote) - 23andMeView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Research Diversity and Collaborations Summer Intern (Remote)
- Job Location
- Sunnyvale, California
- Job Description
During our 10-week summer internship program, you’ll join our Research team who utilize a wide range of expertise to conduct innovative research at an unprecedented scale and level of complexity. You will work with your mentor on a project that is of interest to the Research Team. The job requires excellent communication skills and attention to detail & timelines. Ideal candidates will have completed undergraduate coursework in Biology and have an interest in health-related research, along with a passion for working on DEI issues. This individual will have the opportunity to interface with external collaborators and leverage community-based feedback to inform project planning, as well as a chance to work with stakeholders within our Research, Legal, Healthcare Operations, and Marketing teams.
With the world’s largest database of more than ten million genotyped customers, 23andMe is at the forefront of using human genetics to advance biomedical research and transform healthcare. Join our growing research team in translating genetic discoveries into insights into molecular biology of human traits and diseases. The dates for Cohort 1 will be June 5, 2023 - August 18, 2023; the dates for Cohort 2 will be June 20, 2023 - September 1, 2023.
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What You'll Do
- Assist team in expanding our Sickle Cell Carrier Status Awareness Program with existing community partners
- Assist the team in preparing for in-person community events, including logistical planning, development of engagement plan for event attendees, and creating public-facing materials
- Assess and leverage participant and community feedback (from members of underrepresented communities) to inform project planning and scaling
What You’ll Bring
- Cross-functional teamwork, flexible attitude
- Effective communication with internal and external stakeholders (members of the scientific, bioethics, and medical communities)
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Excellent organizational skills
- Committed attention to detail and timelines/deadlines
- Ability to raise problems or challenges in a productive manner
- Passion for working on DEI issues, particularly in the health space
- Authorization to work in the US
Please share with us why you're interested in this opportunity in a cover letter!
- Bachelor's degree in biomedical science (or a related field)
- Experience creating communications materials a plus
- Experience working with diverse stakeholders and completing a project with many moving pieces
- Experience with and excitement for working with organizations such as non-profits and community building organizations
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe Headquarters Location
Mountain View, CA
23andMe Company Size
Between 500 - 1,000 employees
23andMe Founded Year
23andMe Funding Rounds
Post Ipo Equity