R&D Scientist Summer Intern, Data Science Modeling (Remote) - 23andMeView Company Profile
- Job Title
- R&D Scientist Summer Intern, Data Science Modeling (Remote)
- Job Location
- Sunnyvale, CA
- Job Description
During our 10-week summer internship program, you’ll join our Product team who build and support big data services to power product, research, and therapeutics. Are you passionate about bringing science to the everyday consumer? Do you want to develop your statistics and data science skills while working to develop new product ideas? We're looking for an enthusiastic computational biologist to develop models that power our consumer genetics product by leveraging large scale phenotypic and genetic data. The dates for Cohort 1 will be June 5, 2023 - August 18, 2023; the dates for Cohort 2 will be June 20, 2023 - September 1, 2023.
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
Who You Are
You are on your way to a graduate degree in a biology-focused quantitative discipline, and you’re wondering where your skills can take you outside of academia. You are motivated by identifying significant and meaningful findings from large datasets, and you believe those findings should provide value for everyone. You can problem-solve on your own, but you thrive as part of a team. Like us, you are mission-driven and want to contribute to something that truly impacts people’s lives.
What You’ll Do
- Build predictive models using data from 23andMe research participants or external sources
- Work with real-life big data sets, including genetic data in the form of gwas results and polygenic scores, self-reported lifestyle & behavior data, and wearable devices data
- Tackle statistical challenges such as causal inference and population stratification to develop and evaluate models
- Be a significant contributor on longer-term R&D projects to develop, validate, and translate research data into novel consumer products
What You’ll Bring
- Working toward a graduate degree in a quantitative discipline, such as computational biology, statistical genetics, bioinformatics, engineering, mathematics, computer science
- Comfortable with Python (required). Proficiency with tools such as Git and Bash are a plus
- Motivated to clearly document and communicate your work, including presenting clear descriptions of your technical work to broad audiences
- Proactive, thorough, and independent, but also able to work effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced, and interdisciplinary team
- Authorization to work in the US
Please share with us why you're interested in this opportunity in a cover letter!
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe Headquarters Location
Mountain View, CA
23andMe Company Size
Between 500 - 1,000 employees
23andMe Founded Year
23andMe Funding Rounds
Post Ipo Equity