Product Marketing Director - New York, NY - Cockroach LabsView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Product Marketing Director - New York, NY
- Job Location
- New York, NY
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
What you build and where it takes you should be unrestricted by the capabilities of your database. That's why we created CockroachDB as the planet's most highly evolved, cloud-native, distributed SQL database. Making scale so simple you don't even have to think about it. Making data so resilient it becomes impossible to destroy. Making delivery so seamless, your apps run anywhere. Join us on our mission to build a different breed of database—one born in the cloud and built from the ground up to help companies of any size scale fast, survive disaster, and thrive everywhere.
About the Role
We are seeking a Product Marketing Director to join our team. Our ideal candidate is passionate about the technologies that underpin world-changing applications, deeply technical, and loves working closely with a fast-moving and innovative product team. This role will drive product marketing strategies for the Cockroach Labs product portfolio while helping us continue to lead and define the category of Distributed SQL. Product Marketing is in the middle of everything Cockroach Labs does; if you like working with the R&D team in the morning, the Demand Generation team mid-day, and the Sales team in the afternoon, we’d love to hear from you!
You Will Own
- Product Positioning and Messaging: You are responsible for developing compelling positioning, messaging, and value propositions for Cockroach Labs’ products. In particular, this will mean understanding the needs of architects, operators, and developers in complex organizations and translating complex technical capabilities into clear, benefit-oriented messaging.
- Content Creation and Campaign Development: Create and oversee the development of high-impact marketing collateral including datasheets, whitepapers, case studies, and demo videos. Collaborate with cross-functional teams to execute go-to-market campaigns.
- Sales Enablement: Develop and deliver training materials to the sales team that support our various customer journey stages and the personas involved in each one. We ultimately need to be able to explain where sellers can win across various verticals, customer profiles, and use cases.
- Product Launches and Releases: Lead cross-functional product launch initiatives. Communicate product releases to customers, prospects, and stakeholders.
- Performance Metrics: Establish, monitor, and report on KPIs to measure the effectiveness of product marketing efforts.
- Team Development: As a potential first hire in product marketing, establish and grow a capital-efficient product marketing function.
- Individual Contributor Work: You will be expected to roll up your sleeves to create and execute marketing initiatives. As a manager, you will need to be a player-coach.
- Market Intelligence: Understand and analyze market trends, customer needs, and the competitive landscape. Translate insights into strategies to position CockroachDB favorably in the market.
In your first 30 days, you will dive deep into our product, deployment paths (self-deployed and DBaaS), and go-to-market strategy. You’ll foster relationships with the product managers, engineering teams, and key managers in the marketing organization. You will also listen to 30 customer calls and complete introductory courses on Cockroach University.
In the next 60 days, you will refine our product and campaign messaging and draft a product launch plan for our next release cycle. You will also complete 200-level Cockroach University courses.
After three months, you will define concrete goals and fully engage with the various stakeholders across GTM and R&D, getting into the rhythm for executing against those targets. You will also complete a Cockroach University Certification.
- 7+ years of experience in product marketing, preferably in B2B tech companies.
- Ability to thoughtfully use LLMs to radically improve PMM effectiveness.
- Ability to complete Cockroach U coursework to deeply understand the product
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with the ability to translate technical concepts into compelling stories.
- Proven track record in executing successful go-to-market strategies in enterprise infrastructure companies.
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: Experience in working cross-functionally with product, engineering, and sales teams to achieve aligned goals.
Reporting to Nate Stewart, Chief Product Officer
Nate is responsible for the overall product strategy and the activities we take to guide Cockroach Labs to product-market-fit. As a former engineer, Nate has seen how the challenges of working with data in unreliable, distributed environments often distract developers from building great things. Nate joined Cockroach Labs to help companies avoid that pain once and for all. When he’s not at work, Nate can be found spending time with his family, reading a book from his Goodreads queue, or trying to remove the rust from his tennis game.
- Competitive Health Insurance Coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid Parental Leave (with baby bucks)
- Flexible PTO
- Learning & Development Budget
- Relocation Support (as applicable)
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The annual anticipated base salary range for U.S. candidates for this role is USD $190,000 to $260,000, plus commission if a sales role. We set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Actual salaries may vary and fall outside of this range depending on factors such as a candidate’s qualifications, geographic location, skills, experience, and competencies. In addition, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. Salary is one component of the Cockroach Labs’ total rewards package, which includes stock options, health insurance, life and disability insurance, funds towards professional development resources, flexible PTO, paid holidays, and parental leave, to name a few! Salaries for candidates outside the U.S. will vary based on local compensation structures.
Cockroach Labs Headquarters Location
New York, NY
Cockroach Labs Company Size
Between 200 - 500 employees
Cockroach Labs Founded Year
Cockroach Labs Total Amount Raised
Cockroach Labs Funding RoundsView funding details