Process Engineer - Aether BiomachinesView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Process Engineer
- Job Location
- Menlo Park, CA
- Job Description
This is an Exempt, Full Time position based in our Menlo Park, CA office.
Aether Biomachines is on a mission to build the post-scarcity future using peptide based nanotechnology as the driving force for the next industrial revolution. By creating the world's most advanced high-throughput robotic laboratory, we are generating data at unprecedented scales to fuel deep learning algorithms. We're assembling a diverse and dynamic team of self-starters, engineers, sci-fi enthusiasts, and visionaries, and we invite you to join us on this journey.
We're breaking barriers in laboratory automation to power world-class machine learning models with faster, broader, and more robust robotic sample processing systems. Our goal is to transform peptides from niche catalysts into general-purpose molecular assemblers using our platform, and enabling a future of abundance for the human race.
As a Chemical Process Engineer at Aether Biomachines, you will work closely with interdisciplinary teams spanning biology, analytics, automation, and engineering to develop and optimize innovative solutions for our product development.
What we are looking for in you
Aether Biomachines is seeking a talented Process Engineer with a strong background in process and equipment development to support scale-up effort from bench to pilot. In this role, you will utilize physics and chemistry first principles to solve problems, develop and optimize synthesis processes, and design/optimize small pilot units. The ideal candidate should be familiar with process design tools (mass and heat balances, PFDs, P&IDs, Hazops), techno-economical analysis, and scale-up project management, and should be able to drive fast progress across multiple projects, from direct lithium extraction to polymer synthesis utilizing different unit operations: adsorption, separations, reactions.
What we are looking for in you
Aether Biomachines is seeking a talented Process Engineer with a strong background in process and equipment development to support our high-throughput enzyme engineering laboratory operations. In this role, you will utilize physics and chemistry first principles to solve problems, optimize processes, and develop new units for integration into high-throughput screening processes. The ideal candidate should be familiar with cutting-edge vendor-provided solutions and have experience working with design engineers to specify process requirements for the creation of new equipment.
What you will be doing
- Develop and optimize chemical reactions at the bench scale, identifying key process variables and KPIs.
- Scale-up processes to pilot, identify key scale-up variables and operating conditions.
- Support engineering design of pilot units with a focus on safety as well as ensuring consistent results and high-quality output.
- Collaborate with customers and development partners in the design of commercial processes for several products.
- Be key interface with engineering firms to lead process definition and design packages.
- Collaborate with scientists in chemistry and biology to improve high-throughput screening assays to reflect process conditions and or connect process to commercial scale operation. (process down-scaling).
- Develop class 3, 4 and 5 techno economic analyses with opex and capex sensitivity analysis.
- Work with interdisciplinary teams to identify and address process engineering challenges, drive continuous improvement initiatives, and contribute to the overall success of the organization.
- Apply strong engineering fundamentals and problem-solving skills to address complex process engineering issues.
- Maintain a clean and organized laboratory environment, adhering to safety guidelines and regulations.
What you must have
- Strong engineering fundamentals and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with interdisciplinary teams.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety guidelines and regulations.
- Experience process scale-up, equipment design, commissioning, and operation with a focus on process safety.
What you should have
- BS or MS in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry , or a related field or equivalent experience outside of academia.
- Experience in a resource extraction/processing industry
- Broad experience with different chemical engineering unit operations and a strong understanding of first principles of different pieces of equipment.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications?
We encourage anyone who thinks they would excel at Aether to apply, no matter their background or how they identify.
Benefits and Perks
- Full suite of health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
- Aether pays 100% of the premiums for employees and 90% of the premiums for dependents.
- Basic Life, AD&D, and Long Term Disability
- Health Savings Account
- $125 Aether contribution per month for individuals
- $250 Aether contribution per month for employees with dependents/partners
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Care FSA
- Dependent Care FSA
- Commuter FSA
- Up to $100 Aether match contribution per month
- Lab Personnel:
- $200 per month Aether taxable bonus if you live more than 25 miles from the office
- $100 per month Aether taxable bonus if you live less than 25 miles from the office
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Flexible Time Off for Full-Time employees and 11 Paid Holidays
- Health Perks (EAP, Travel Assistance, Chiropractic and Acupuncture care)
- Company Perks (Equity, Socials, holiday parties, LifeMart Discounts, and more!)
- On-Site Services (Free EV charging, shuttle services, free meals while you work, free on-site fitness center, and more!)
Our company values diversity and believes diverse teams make innovation possible. We work on complex, difficult problems with no linear or clear solutions. We believe that a diverse team can bring different perspectives and approaches, and whose experiences reflect the full set of clients we seek to serve. As such, Aether Biomachines, Inc. is committed to a diverse representation among our employees. Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Aether Bio may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. This position is based in our California location.This is the pay range for this position that we reasonably expect to pay. Individual compensation is based on various factors, including experience, education, skillset, and geographic location. This range is for the SF Bay Area, California location, and may be adjusted to the labor market in other geographic areas.SF Bay Area Pay Range$157,000—$192,500 USD
Aether Biomachines Headquarters Location
Menlo Park, CA
Aether Biomachines Company Size
Between 20 - 50 employees
Aether Biomachines Founded Year
Aether Biomachines Total Amount Raised
Aether Biomachines Funding RoundsView funding details