Privacy Counsel - DoorDashView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Privacy Counsel
- Job Location
- United States - Remote; San Francisco, CA; New York, NY
- Job Description
About the Team
Our Legal Team has built a reputation within the company for our supportive approach to counseling, always with a bias for action. We’re a group of seasoned business-forward lawyers and legal and compliance professionals, who work collaboratively, have a healthy sense of humor, are humble, and are kind to one another and our clients. Join us!
About the Role
DoorDash is hiring an exceptional privacy lawyer to join our expanding legal team. You will work on cutting edge privacy matters, with the opportunity to have ownership of projects and make an immediate impact on a fast-growing, dynamic business. You will work cross functionally with our product teams and product counsel and just about every stakeholder group at DoorDash on crazy exciting privacy projects at a global scale. This role reports into the Senior Counsel, Privacy.
As Privacy Counsel, you’ll work closely with teams throughout the company—including Engineering, Security, Product, Marketing, Business Development, Press, and Public Policy—to advise on data privacy and security. You’ll become an expert on our existing products and help shape the development of what’s next (TL;DR: exciting stuff!). As for us, we’ve built a strong reputation within the company for our confident, supportive approach to counseling, always with a bias for action. We’re team players and we’re always looking for ways to grow and excel together. Join us!
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Advise stakeholders throughout the business on privacy issues, including application of DoorDash’s privacy policies to new product features.
- Help business and engineering teams design new products and services with privacy and security in mind.
- Take a leading role in our compliance efforts with emerging privacy laws and regulations, including maturing our compliance program for the current five (5!) U.S. states that have passed comprehensive privacy legislation.
- Be empowered to tackle super interesting privacy issues in areas of the law that are often unclear!.
We’re excited about you because…
- You have 5-7+ years of full-time privacy and data security experience practicing law at a top-tier firm, and/or in-house.
- You have a JD and are admitted to any US state bar.
- You are committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment and have prioritized participating in DEI initiatives in past roles.
- You have a strong track record of building out compliance programs to comply with domestic and international privacy laws and regulations. Experience with CCPA, CPRA, other U.S. state privacy legislation and the EU GDPR.
- You are comfortable advising the business on complex B2C issues.
- You are experienced in negotiating privacy and security terms in vendor, partnership and other commercial agreements. You are adept at advising on international transfer matters.
- You are experienced in developing and rolling out business and consumer friendly policies.
- You can execute on projects that require significant cross-functional partnership.
- You are able to work autonomously, exercise sound judgment, and balance legal risks with business objectives in a fast-paced environment.
- You’re a self-starter; intrinsically motivated but also a good teammate.
- You have a philosophy that no task is too big or small and an interest in learning and growth.
- You are a big picture thinker and are able to effectively prioritize projects and workflow based on relative impact to the business.
- You are comfortable with uncertainty and ambiguity.
- You have interests/passions outside of work that are important to you.
Nice to Haves
- Experience as an in-house lawyer, particularly in the tech industry, with exposure to e-commerce and/or the gig economy.
- Experience with advertising technologies.
- Experience working with engineers and other technologists.
- Experience advising international clients on product launches and country launches and managing international outside counsel.
- M&A integration experience.
- Experience at a company in a major growth phase.
- CIPP certification
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.
DoorDash Headquarters Location
San Francisco, CA
DoorDash Company Size
Between 8,600 - 8,600 employees
DoorDash Founded Year
DoorDash Total Amount Raised
DoorDash Funding RoundsView funding details