Postdoctoral Fellow, COVID-19 - 23andMeView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Postdoctoral Fellow, COVID-19
- Job Location
- Headquarters - Sunnyvale
- Job Description
Since the start of the pandemic, 23andMe has emerged as a leader in understanding genetic and environmental contributions to COVID-19 risk. To date, over 1.5 million individuals have completed our COVID-19 baseline survey, and over 105K have completed our long COVID survey. While we have already published our genetic findings for COVID-19 susceptibility in top level journals (Nature Genetics), there is more to discover. As the pandemic enters this new stage, the focus of the scientific and clinical community shifts to “long COVID”-- chronic, often debilitating sequelae of the acute infection. We currently have in-depth symptomology and disease severity data on tens of thousands of long COVID cases. Due to the chronic nature of long COVID and potential application to other post-viral illnesses-- including many “mystery diagnoses” in the immune space-- this area of inquiry could be a fruitful source of descriptive and genetic discoveries.
We are looking to hire a Postdoctoral Fellow who is excited to explore these data with us. This is an internally funded, two-year position situated within the Research team and co-mentored by scientists from both Research and Therapeutics. There is an emphasis on teamwork, engagement with the broader scientific community, professional growth, and ability to promptly deliver results.
With the world’s largest database of more than ten million genotyped customers, 23andMe is at the forefront of using human genetics to advance biomedical research and transform healthcare. Join our growing research team in translating genetic discoveries into insights into molecular biology of human traits and diseases.
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What You'll Do
- Publish peer-reviewed articles, blog posts, and conference abstracts on topics relevant to long COVID and other chronic sequelae of immune infections, e.g.:
- Describing the epidemiology/natural history/symptomology of COVID-19 (including “long COVID”) in the 23andMe database
- Deeper understanding observed disparities in long/severe COVID-19 risk (e.g. excess risk in certain communities/demographic groups that is not explained by genetic or measured non-genetic determinants)
- Modeling genetic and environmental determinants of COVID-19 infection and sequelae, as well as of breakthrough infections; exploring effect measure modification by strain
- Identifying phenotypic overlap with other immune diseases and potentially novel disease subtypes/clusters
What You’ll Bring
- PhD in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, or a related discipline (Systems Biology, Applied Mathematics, Bioinformatics, Data Science, Immunology, and others)
- Statistical analysis (exploratory data analysis, regression modeling, data visualization)
- Scientific computing proficiency (R or Python, experience with Shiny/R Markdown is a plus, Unix)
- Scientific communication skills (to write up and share the results)
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe Headquarters Location
Mountain View, CA
23andMe Company Size
Between 500 - 1,000 employees
23andMe Founded Year
23andMe Funding Rounds
Post Ipo Equity