PhD Residency - Prototyping Engineer - SandboxAQView Company Profile
- Job Title
- PhD Residency - Prototyping Engineer
- Job Location
- San Francisco, California
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Ready to join the AQ era?
SandboxAQ is solving challenging problems with AI + Quantum for positive impact. We partner with global leaders in government, academia, and the private sector to identify applications that would benefit from quantum-based applications to current and future commercial challenges. We engage with customers early and throughout the development process to improve market fit.
Our team’s unique approach enables cross-pollination across a diverse range of fields, from physics, computer science, neuroscience, mathematics, cryptography, natural sciences and more! Our success comes from coalescing diverse talent to create an environment where experimental thinking and collaboration yield breakthrough AI + Quantum solutions. Join a culture where thought leadership, diverse talent, employee engagement, and technological impact will create the next tech uproar.
We are deeply committed to education as a means to advance quantum solutions and computing initiatives. We invest in future talent through internship programs, research papers, developer tools, textbooks, educational talks/events and partnerships with universities/talent hubs to attract multi-disciplinary talent. Our hope is to inspire people from all walks of life to be prepared for the quantum era and encourage a path in STEM.
Residencies at SandboxAQ
If you’re a graduate student in STEM ready to bring the new AI + Quantum era to the world, consider joining our residency program at SandboxAQ.
We are currently looking for PhD students in a wide variety of STEM fields — physics, computer science, AI, neuroscience, chemistry, cryptography, mathematics/statistics, biomedical engineering, aerospace engineering, geophysics, and more — to join our world-class team of engineers, scientists and technologists.
Prototyping Engineer Resident
The SandboxAQ Quantum Sensing team deploys state-of-the-art hardware to expand capabilities in medical diagnosis, GPS-free navigation, and autonomous vehicles. We are looking for a Prototyping Engineer Resident to join our dynamic team! The successful candidate will contribute to our rapid product prototype iterations as we assemble, code, test, validate, and deploy sensor data acquisition systems. They will work closely with Engineers/Scientists that are developing machine-learning models and AI software applications based on the novel data from these sensor systems.
Typical things you may do:
- Deploy prototype sensor hardware in relevant environments.
- Design, assemble, and run prototype hardware through validation experiments.
- Capture and analyze readings from sensors (this may be over serial, Ethernet, or lower level protocols such as SPI/I2C).
- Identify data transfer and embedded system power requirements for sensor telemetry.
- Design and build test stations for characterizing thermal, acoustic, and vibration performance limits of quantum sensor systems.
- Write high level Python code that starts/stops data capture from a GUI.
- Collect large data sets to empower downstream machine learning.
What you should have:
- Experience assembling prototype hardware.
- Python fluency.
- Eagerness to iterate on real hardware quickly, one feature at a time.
- Ability to read circuit diagrams and understand power and data transfer.
- Familiarity with Linux systems.
- Ability to work closely and communicate clearly with other team members.
It would also be nice if you had these:
- Experience with field testing.
- Understanding of power requirements and ability to determine power needs of prototype and ability to spec out appropriate power systems.
- Proficiency in designing and/or fabricating custom mechanical parts and fixtures.
- Proficiency in writing embedded code and interfacing with lower level protocols such as SPI, I2C, serial, etc.
- Proficiency in writing GUIs (PyQT or similar) for visualizing and controlling data from embedded prototype hardware.
- Proficiency in making cables, soldering, and ability to design schematics.
- Proficiency in threaded programming.
- Proficiency in applying ML/AI/data science to data
- Location: Onsite in SF Bay, CA
- Start date: Year-round, on a rolling basis
- Duration: Flexible, typically between 4 months to one year
- Currently enrolled in a STEM PhD program: math, computer science, engineering, physics, or related field. **Non-PhD post-graduate students may be considered on a case-by-case basis (e.g. MD, Masters)
- Proficiency with at least one programming language (Python, C/C++, Matlab, etc.)
- For questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
What to Expect
- Work on a technical project with scientists and engineers on one of our core teams
- Engagement with fellow residents
- Competitive compensation
- Present findings to the rest of SandboxAQ
- Have fun!
SandboxAQ welcomes all.We are committed to creating an inclusive culture where we have zero tolerance for discrimination. We invest in our employees' personal and professional growth. Once you work with us, you can’t go back to normalcy because great breakthroughs come from great teams and we are the best in quantum technology.We offer competitive salaries, stock options depending on employment type, generous learning opportunities, medical/dental/vision, family planning/fertility, PTO (summer and winter breaks), financial wellness resources, 401(k) plans, and more.Equal Employment Opportunity: All qualified applicants will receive consideration regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.Accommodations: we provide reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in job application procedures for open roles. If you need such an accommodation.
SandboxAQ Headquarters Location
Palo Alto, CA
SandboxAQ Company Size
Between 100 - 500 employees
SandboxAQ Founded Year
SandboxAQ Total Amount Raised
SandboxAQ Funding RoundsView funding details