Pathologist - 23andMeView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Job Location
- South San Francisco, California
- Job Description
Who We Are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team in South San Francisco leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
23andMe Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated, scientifically curious, and experienced translational pathologist to lead the histopathology group in Drug Development. This position offers the exciting opportunity to further grow the histopathology capabilities, guide new strategies and expand the translational efforts on an exciting portfolio of genetically guided targets including oncology, immunological and metabolic diseases.
As a successful candidate, you will use your scientific and pathology expertise to play an important role in the development of novel therapies: collaborating cross functionally, you will use your pathology expertise to guide assay development, support pharmacologic characterization of drug candidates during all phases of target discovery and development. You will use your knowledge of comparative pathology to help design nonclinical studies and interpret findings and determine their relevance to humans. You will manage and mentor translational scientists within the histopathology core and expand the core’s capabilities where appropriate. You will partner closely with internal stakeholders, other scientists, study managers, Contract Research Organizations (CROs) and academic institutions to design, execute, interpret, and report nonclinical studies including determining prevalence and target patient populations. You will prioritize workflow in alignment with program and project timelines and objectives. You will also be responsible for the preparation of documents for regulatory agency meetings, serve as a representative and subject matter expert in meetings with partners, collaborators, preclinical/clinical investigators, and regulatory agencies. In this role, you will collaborate across the company, contribute to the R&D strategy as a subject matter expert or project team lead, and execute the strategy within the Biomarker Translation group. You will report to the Head of Biomarker Translation in the Development organization.
What You’ll Do
- Provide leadership on translational strategies relating to target validation, disease relevance, prevalence and patient selection criteria
- Directly interface with 23andMe Therapeutics discovery groups to design translational studies that will inform critical program decisions and directions
- Guide tissue based assay development (IHC, ISH etc) and perform data read/interpretation (eye read and digital image analysis) for early target validation, prevalence studies and determination of clinical target populations
- Lead and mentor histopathology scientists in the core group
- Provide 23andMe with expertise concerning human tissue procurement, biobanking and study outsourcing
- Advise on and develop protocols for collection of tissues from clinical sites involved in clinical trials of 23andMe therapeutic molecules to ensure legal and ethical compliance and high technical standards for clinical data generation
- Oversee transfer and/or development of clinical stage tissue based assays to evaluate biomarker endpoints during early clinical development
- Provide 23andMe with expertise concerning new technologies relevant to histopathology by staying current with these technologies and working to implement these in-house or via external entities as appropriate
What You’ll Bring
- DVM or MD or educational equivalent with requisite specialty training in pathology and post-doctoral experience with disease relevant rodent model systems in a research environment (academia or pharmaceutical industry).
- Strong scientific background and experience conducting biomedical research as evidenced by high impact publications, scientific presentations, patents, IND filings etc.
- Foundational understanding of assay/biomarker development is required, experience with Companion Diagnostic development would be a plus.
- Understanding of FDA and ICH guidance, and GLP regulations.
- Previous experience with computational approaches to digital pathology/image analysis is highly desirable.
- Strong interpersonal skills – excellent ability to communicate with a diverse range of collaborators (Staff, CROs, clinical investigators etc), attention to detail
- Successful experience managing and mentoring 1 or more technical/scientific staff. Team and collaboration oriented; growth and inclusivity mindset; capable of working collaboratively across all levels and organizations
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe Headquarters Location
Mountain View, CA
23andMe Company Size
Between 500 - 1,000 employees
23andMe Founded Year
23andMe Funding Rounds
Post Ipo Equity