Patent Attorney - Rondo EnergyView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Patent Attorney
- Job Location
- Alameda, CA
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
About Rondo Energy
Rondo Energy's mission is to eliminate 15% of global CO2 emissions in 15 years.
To accomplish this mission, Rondo is deploying low-cost, zero-carbon Rondo Heat Batteries to accelerate the deployment of renewable energy and to significantly decarbonize industrial processes that are commonly thought of as "difficult-to-decarbonize". Our Heat Batteries charge from intermittent renewables to provide high temperature, continuous heat for customers safely, reliably, at an unprecedented 98% efficiency - and at a cost point that is lower than any other method.
We are looking for an experienced Patent Attorney with a Mechanical Engineering or Physics background to become thoroughly familiar with the technologies of Rondo Energy and work on patents and other IP, as well as other legal matters.
In this role, you will attend patent disclosure meetings with inventors, conduct patentability analyses based on prior art search results, and prepare and file patent applications in complex products and processes. You will also have an opportunity to be involved in projects relating to a broad range of general legal issues and strategies to contribute to the success of this high-energy start-up.
Join our team and together we can reduce world CO₂ emissions by 1% in 10 years, and by 15% in 15 years!
What You Will Do (key responsibilities for this role include but are not limited to):
- Understand the technologies of Rondo Energy at a deep level
- Hands-on preparing and filing of U.S., non-U.S., and PCT patent applications
- Manage patent disclosure meetings with inventors
- Conduct patentability analyses based on prior art search results
- Prepare and filing U.S., non-U.S. and PCT patent applications
- Prosecute patent applications in the US Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO) – prepare responses to USPTO Office Actions and interviewing Examiners
- Review potential procurement of patents worldwide
- Manage domestic and international intellectual property portfolios
- Perform legal analyses of infringement and/or validity questions
- Prepare legal pleadings and papers for intellectual property and related matters
- Partner and collaborating with outside counsel
- Review and preparing relevant contracts
What You Will Bring:
- 5+ years of experience practicing patent law, with a strong preference for experience in the energy sector
- Juris Doctorate with admission to practice law in Washington State or California
- BS/Bachelor’s, MS/Master’s or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or Physics
- An understanding of relevant technologies: mechanical and electromechanical systems, thermal energy storage, renewable energy technologies
- Experience in drafting and prosecuting patent applications in a fast-paced environment, developing patent strategies and conducting associated patent analyses, due diligence, transactions and licensing
- Highly knowledgeable on technical, scientific and legal aspects of intellectual property
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to simplify complex information
- Analytical thinking with strong conceptual and research skills
- Natural leader who displays sound judgment and attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to disseminate complex information to stakeholders as needed
What We Offer:
- Comprehensive Medical Benefits
- Dental & Vision Benefits
- Life Insurance and ADD
- Up to 13 paid holidays per year, in addition to a company week-long holiday in December
- Flexible time off policy
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Rondo HQ is close to Oakland airport - one block from the Bay - and has stunning Bay views!
This role necessitates being located in the Seattle WA area (with occasional travel to the San Francisco Bay Area) or the San Francisco Bay Area. The estimated salary for this role is between $180,000.00 and $220,000.00, and it would be eligible for Rondo's excellent benefits listed above plus additional compensation in the form of equity. Please note that some pay bands may have wide ranges of compensation to accommodate candidates' diverse sets of skill levels and experience.
Rondo Energy is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do their best work. We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities.
Rondo is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the interview process, please let our recruiting team know.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Rondo does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Rondo Energy does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
Rondo Energy Headquarters Location
Rondo Energy Company Size
Between 20 - 100 employees
Rondo Energy Founded Year
Rondo Energy Total Amount Raised
Rondo Energy Funding RoundsView funding details