Music Licensing Manager - UnitedMastersView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Music Licensing Manager
- Job Location
- Brooklyn, NY | Los Angeles, CA
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Who We Are
UnitedMasters is building a marketplace that connects artists, brands and fans - empowering artists to earn and grow. UnitedMasters has taken the bold step of building a music distribution service that, radically, puts artists first - disrupting the legacy music business by letting up-and-coming artists distribute their music directly to fans through streaming services while maintaining ownership of their master recording rights and up to 100% of royalties. Through the combination of UnitedMasters’ music distribution platform and its deep ties to brands, UnitedMasters enables independent artists and change-makers to grow and earn unlike any other platform.
The UnitedMasters team is made up of musicians, marketers, engineers, and storytellers with backgrounds from YouTube, SoundCloud, Pandora, Facebook, Uber, Dropbox, Complex, VICE, and more. We work hand in hand with the award-winning creative teams that forge those innovative partnerships at Translation (our in-house creative advertising agency).
We are looking for a Music Licensing Manager to join UnitedMasters! Please note that this role is a Hybrid role: three days in office and two days remote.
What You'll Do
- Maximize UnitedMasters’ music contracting and licensing practice to drive revenue as we scale sync opportunities for UnitedMasters artists and to support Translation productions
- Centralize and run a clear and efficient contracting process across multiple internal and external stakeholders including Sales, Accounts/Client Services, Commercial Operations, Legal, Artist Marketing & Artist Services, and rights holders
- Review briefs and collaborate with UnitedMasters & Translation Account/Client Services leads to understand music needs for client campaigns and projects, and manage the process of acquiring the music
- Collaborate with A&R to support sync placements for UnitedMasters’ Partner Artists
- Provide music quotes for the master and publishing
- Contact labels, publishers and rights holders to negotiate and secure license terms, including sample usage.
- Review, draft and negotiate long form licensing agreements for song placements in social media, television, film, live performances, and advertising campaigns.
- Lead with precise attention to detail while balancing operationally friendly terms with strong creative output.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to manage multiple projects from the beginning through to signature, campaign launch and post-campaign administration.
- Business and relationship savvy: effectively balance the needs and interests of stakeholders and confidently negotiate with colleagues, rights holders and attorneys to get the deal done
- Collaborative, builds strong cross-functional relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; craft sharp deal terms
- Process oriented and builds playbooks to support a scaling business and efficient music licensing and contracting
- Extremely organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Autonomous, resourceful, strong bias for action
- 5+ years work experience working on contracts, IP negotiation, and/or music licensing at a major or indie label, streaming platform, advertising agency, law firm, media company, or in music supervision.
- Experience negotiating and securing global music licensing agreements
- J.D. preferred but not required
- Passionate about music and improving outcomes for independent artists
About UnitedMasters, Inc.
UnitedMasters has over 1.5 million artists on its platform and is growing rapidly. Brands like Diageo, Ally, and ESPN come to UnitedMasters to partner with these artists and play a role in moving culture forward. In the past year, UnitedMasters subscribers have grown rapidly. With $170M raised to date and valued at $550M, UnitedMasters is backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Apple, Alphabet (aka Google), and Disney amongst others. Over the last year, UnitedMasters artists have used our platform to land sync deals with major brands including the NBA, ESPN, Overtime Elite, Bose, Warner Brother Studios and in the NBA video game 2k. These deals give them additional money for their work and increase their exposure.
Salary Hiring Range: $115,000 - $140,000
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and are one part of many compensation, benefits and other reward opportunities we provide (e.g. bonus, stock options, 401(k) match, etc.)
Individual pay rate decisions are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company. We expect the majority of the candidates who are offered roles at our company to fall healthily throughout the range based on these factors.
The range above is for the expectations as laid out in the job description, however we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.
The salary range above is for the NY/CA. As a company, we have a location based strategy, which means the salary range could be lower or higher than this if the role is hired in another location.
UnitedMasters Headquarters Location
New York, NY
UnitedMasters Company Size
Between 200 - 500 employees
UnitedMasters Founded Year
UnitedMasters Total Amount Raised
UnitedMasters Funding RoundsView funding details