Mechanical Engineer, Fuel Handling Systems - Kairos PowerView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Mechanical Engineer, Fuel Handling Systems
- Job Location
- Albuquerque, NM
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Kairos Power is a new nuclear energy technology and engineering company whose mission is to enable the world’s transition to clean energy, with the ultimate goal to dramatically improve people’s quality of life while protecting the environment. This goal will be accomplished through the commercialization of the fluoride-salt-cooled, high-temperature reactor (FHR) that can be deployed with robust safety, affordable costs, and flexible operation to accommodate the expansion of variable renewables.
Kairos Power has an opportunity for a talented engineer to work on an exciting sub-system on Kairos Power's novel reactor design. This position will be on the Fuel Handling team, responsible for design, development, testing and manufacturing of automated systems for fuel handling and storage equipment. This role will be located at the Albuquerque site, interacting with operations and manufacturing teams on Kairos' largest integrated, high temperature test to date. This person will be a critical member of the Fuel Handling team, supporting component design, manufacturing, and test operations in Albuquerque. If you enjoy hands on work building never before designed components, this is the role for you.
- Support the design and prototyping of critical subsystems of the Kairos Power FHR (KP-FHR) fuel handling and storage equipment.
- Engage with manufacturing and operations at the KP-SW campus to support the manufacturing, assembly, and operation of high fidelity and full scale fuel handling equipment.
- Create high fidelity non-standard, custom 3D equipment models and manufacturing drawings that meet the KP-FHR and test system requirements.
- Design, build, and test prototype assemblies to demonstrate concept functionality and performance in prototypic conditions.
- Design and build testing platforms for the exploration of design features that require maturation.
- Create or direct the creation of manufacturing drawings for KP-FHR custom fuel handling equipment, and other moving components, and coordinate the fabrication with internal manufacturing operation and suppliers.
- Contribute to make/buy analysis, supplier selections and the development of manufacturing plans.
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent with industry fuel handling equipment experience.
- 5+ years of experience performing hands on prototyping and testing of novel electromechanical systems.
- Experience interfacing with manufacturing teams and an understanding of manufacturing processes.
- SolidWorks experience required.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others including, but not limited to Project Managers, Engineers and Designers in a multi-discipline project team environment to resolve design or drawing issues as appropriate and to accomplish objectives.
- Ability to problem solve quickly and efficiently
- Ability to proactively collect, manage and transfer knowledge
- Ability to seek different and novel ways to create efficiencies when working on problems, challenges and issues
- Prioritizes and ensures safety of oneself and others
- Moving about to accomplish tasks or moving from one worksite to another
- Adjusting, moving, transporting, installing, positioning, or removing objects up to 30 pounds in all directions
- Communicating with others to exchange information
- Use hand tools
- General office environment
- Noisy environments
Safety and PPE
- Reading and interpreting hazardous warning signs
- Reporting issues with equipment or unsafe conditions
- Wearing proper PPE, to include face mask, face shields, gloves, safety shoes
- Some travel may be required (10%)
About our Benefits
We know that we have some of the most talented and dedicated employees, and we believe in rewarding them accordingly. If you work here, full-time employees (excludes interns) expect to have access to the benefits below:
- Competitive compensation packages
- Medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and their dependents
- Paid Vacation
- 401(k) and pre-tax health insurance, dependent care, and commuter benefits (FSA)
Kairos Power is committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects the communities where we do business. Kairos Power is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We actively welcome people of different experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Kairos Power participates in E-Verify.
Candidates only, no recruiters or agencies please.
Note: You are applying for a position that is located in a facility that handles information that is subject to export control restrictions by the Department of Energy under 10 CFR Part 810. To work in this facility, you need to be authorized by the Department of Energy to access Part 810-controlled information. Foreign nationals who are citizens of countries that are not on the Department of Energy’s general authorization list (link below) are not permitted to work in our facility unless the Department of Energy issues an export control license to the company to permit that individual to have access to Part 810-controlled information. The following questions are intended to determine the licensing requirements that may apply. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/10/appendix-A_to_part_810
Kairos Power Headquarters Location
Kairos Power Company Size
Between 100 - 500 employees
Kairos Power Founded Year
Kairos Power Total Amount Raised
Kairos Power Funding RoundsView funding details