Manager, Content Accounting - MasterClassView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Manager, Content Accounting
- Job Location
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Who we are:
MasterClass is the streaming platform where the world’s best come together so anyone, anywhere, can access and be inspired by their knowledge and stories. We put you in the room with the creators, thinkers, makers and leaders who have changed the world, so that you can change yours.
Members get unprecedented access to 150+ instructors and classes across a wide variety of fields, including Arts & Entertainment, Business, Design & Style, Sports & Gaming, Writing and more. Step into Nas’ recording studio and Gordon Ramsay’s kitchen, and go behind the big screen with James Cameron. Design your career with Elaine Welteroth, get ready to win with Lewis Hamilton, perfect your pitch with Shonda Rhimes and discover your inner negotiator with Chris Voss.
It's a pivotal time for MasterClass – and we want you to be a part of the journey. With a HQ in San Francisco, an office in Waterloo, Ontario, and a future office in Los Angeles, we are looking to expand our team to support the business.
If you want to help make an impact on our members' lives – we want to hear from you!
We are looking for more than what a resume can show. If you don’t have the exact experience or skills, but think you’d be a great addition to MasterClass, please apply for the role.
This role provides you the chance to be a leader on a team that is committed to transforming our members’ lives and unlocking human potential by inspiring a learning lifestyle in everyone. This is a great time to join MasterClass as we continue to invest in main events, sessions, and now original series!
What You Will Do:
- Manage the team responsible for the financial integrity of the company's content commitments, assets (capitalization), liabilities (payments), and expenses (amortization) in accordance with ASC 926.
- Prepare and review monthly accounting entries, reconciliations, business metrics, and other ad hoc analysis.
- Management and accounting of content license contracts and understanding the full cost of each produced class and shows.
- Analyze content agreements and transactions (e.g. licensing contracts, talent deals etc.), to interpret contractual terms and understand the application of our accounting policies.
- Identify and drive process improvements and own projects such as accounting policy review.
- Manage cross-functional relationships with teams outside of Content Accounting, including those across finance, business affairs and content production teams.
- Maintain the company’s ASC 926 memorandum as the business explores new content formats; educate business partners on the impact of new content initiatives on GAAP financial performance
About You (Requirements)
- Highly analytical mindset with strong attention to detail
- Experience implementing and operationalizing systems and processes related to tracking and validating content costs
- Desire to provide improved visibility to the business
- A collaborative spirit
- Willingness to tackle business challenges that may be out of one’s comfort zone
- Strong technical accounting background with an ability to eloquently communicate key accounting principles to business partners
- Passionate curiosity about the business and our mission
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or another finance-related field
- 5+ years of overall accounting experience with recent experience in a managerial role
- 2+ years of relevant experience should be within a comparable industry
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills, including advanced excel skills
- Experience with Intacct, Netsuite, or comparable ERP systems is a plus
- Advanced technical knowledge of ASC 920/926
- Big 4 experience preferred
- CPA license a strong plus
$114,000 - $149,000
The salary range above is for NYC/CA/WA. As a company, we have a location based strategy, which means the disclosed range estimate has not been adjusted for any applicable geographic differential associated with the location where the position may be filled.
MasterClass’s salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry. In addition to salary, we also offer equity and comprehensive benefits (medical, dental, vision, flexible PTO, and more). The range above is for the expectations as laid out in the job description, however we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.
MasterClass Headquarters Location
San Francisco, CA
MasterClass Company Size
Between 200 - 1,000 employees
MasterClass Founded Year
MasterClass Total Amount Raised
MasterClass Funding RoundsView funding details