Lead Data Scientist - ChiefView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Lead Data Scientist
- Job Location
- New York, NY | Miami, FL | San Francisco, CA | Boston, MA | Washington DC | Los Angeles, CA | Remote Eligible (US based)
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Chief is changing the face of leadership. Our mission: build the most powerful network focused on connecting and supporting women leaders. Our members are VP and C-level executives across every industry who are leading their companies today and building a more equitable tomorrow. Chief was recently recognized as one of Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies of 2021, and you can read more about us in Forbes or watch us on the Today Show.
Launched in early 2019, Chief is a Series B stage start-up backed by General Catalyst, Inspired Capital, Primary Ventures, CapitalG, and other top-tier investors. The Chief network includes 12,000+ members from across the United States and United Kingdom. We are headquartered in New York City with additional Flagship spaces in Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, and London.
We are tech-powered. Our members make meaningful connections, engage in compelling discussions, and view our unique content through our digital platform. Our Product and Technology teams are building the future of that platform, with data and insights at its heart.
About the Role:
Chief is seeking an experienced Data Scientist focussing on personalization to join our small but growing fully remote Data team. The mission of this role is to build recommender systems that maximize the value our members derive from our professional network. You will build discovery tools to connect members 1:1 and in groups, help them discover relevant content, meetups and events, optimize their user journey based on their interests, and much more.
We solve problems with approaches that span from scrappy heuristics to algorithms you can only find in obscure academic literature. You will work autonomously from ideation to deployment in production (full disclosure: we’re still building the deployment pipeline) and collaborate with business stakeholders, product managers, data engineers and data scientists across the organization. The tech stack you’re going to work on lives in AWS and includes dbt, Redshift, and Posit Workbench and you will have a big role in evolving that stack over time. Personalization is a key contributor to our retention strategy, and your role will be critical to the success of Chief.
What you’ll do:
- [20%] Ideation, development of ideas, ROI calculations to determine where personalization strategies provide the most value for our members, collaborate with business stakeholders to understand the nuances of our business
- [40%] Build data workflows, feature engineering, algorithms and recommender systems
- [20%] Work with tech, product and data engineering teams to deploy your models to production
- [20%] Help evolve our tooling and tech stack
What you’ve done and enjoy doing:
- Strong skills in statistics and machine learning
- Fluency in python
- Prior experience building recommender systems, especially in a subscription context
- Experience with relational databases / SQL
- Passion for working with stakeholders and curiosity about our business model
- Scrappiness and the ability to thrive on autonomy
- Great communication skills
You Get Bonus Points For:
- Experience with Redshift and the broader AWS stack
- Experience deploying machine learning algorithms in production and writing production quality code
Why You'll Want to Work Here:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Flexible vacation policy and 4.5 day work weeks
- 20 weeks of paid gender neutral parental leave
- Full medical, dental, and vision packages, 401(k)
- Opportunity to work for a startup focused on driving real change for women in business
- Opportunity to create and attend inspiring experiences and events with leaders of the industry
- Access to our ongoing virtual Chief member exclusive content, including workshops, thought leadership, and iconic speakers
- Wellness, Work from home and Learning Stipends available
While we’re committed to remaining compliant and adhering to mandates, for us, pay transparency is more than a consideration of what’s lawful and unlawful but rather, an opportunity to disclose what’s required, and what we think is a fair and equitable compensation framework.
At Chief, we want to hire, develop, and retain the best talent, making Chief a top destination to accelerate your career. Our compensation framework is a key part of our vision, and we continually revisit and invest in our philosophy and framework to ensure we remain competitive and relevant, on a quest to achieve our vision.
The pay transparency mandates, as well as our own policies and practices, are a means of narrowing the gender pay gap and fostering an engaged and positive working environment that builds trust, on our mission to change the face of leadership.
The base salary for this role is: $190,000.00
Chief Headquarters Location
New York, NY
Chief Company Size
Between 500 - 10,000 employees
Chief Founded Year
Chief Total Amount Raised
Chief Funding RoundsView funding details