Intellectual Property Director - Slingshot BiosciencesView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Intellectual Property Director
- Job Location
- Emeryville, CA
- Job Description
Our north star is to make healthcare more accessible around the world. We are doing this by advancing cell biology to develop innovative solutions for human health.
Founded in 2012, and located in one of the largest biotech hubs in the world, Slingshot Biosciences is a growing life sciences company with a platform technology and paradigm-shifting mission to make synthetic cells the gold standard for all cell-based applications. We currently have a suite of products that allow for rapid, stable instrument deployment and are poised to make headway into clinical markets with controls for engineered cell therapies.
At Slingshot, we value diversity and believe that a variety of backgrounds and experiences leads to more innovative ideas and a better understanding of our customers. Passion is at the core of our values, and employees are encouraged to pursue their passions in their work and contribute to the company's overall mission.
We desire motivated team members who appreciate the freedom to be creative and think outside the box to solve problems. We offer an environment where employees are empowered to take ownership of their work, and have the ability to quickly contribute new ideas and iterate on current processes. In everything we do, we are dedicated to delivering top-quality products and services to our customers which ultimately makes a significant impact on patient care.
Reporting to the VP of Legal, the IP Director is responsible for cultivating and managing the intellectual property portfolio. You will be an integral part of helping grow and protect the rapid innovation of Slingshot’s patent portfolio, while also focusing on the maintenance of Slingshot’s fundamental intellectual property. In addition, you will help manage certain of Slingshot’s trademarks and other general areas of intellectual property. Your role will be essential in this growth phase. A collaborative and positive attitude is a must while enjoying working at a small but rapidly growing start-up. This role is hybrid with on-site meetings in Emeryville, CA, as needed.
- Preparation and prosecution of patent applications: You will work with in-house inventors on writing strong patent applications. You will collaborate with external IP counsel, on projects which may be beyond your current scope of expertise, in an opportunity to grow and expand your knowledge base while contributing to Slingshot’s objectives.
- Managing databases and dockets: You will monitor, prepare, file, and maintain databases as they relate to patent documents (e.g., assignments, declarations, figures, etc.) and patent prosecution (e.g., docket deadlines).
- Engaging in technology strategy: You will employ strategic analysis of patent litigation matters, including analysis of third-party patents, products, companies, technology investments/ventures; deliver reports on major trends, reporting recommendations to management.
- Being a team player: You will occasionally perform additional administrative patent duties as required. You may be encouraged to sometimes assist with general legal matters in furtherance of the company’s objectives.
Education / Qualifications / Skills
- PhD in Polymer Chemistry, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, or Biochemistry.
- Admission to practice before the USPTO.
- 3-5 years industry experience including knowledge of industry technology, prior art and publications review, and pertinent patent drafting.
- Experience tracking filings, issued patents, and corresponding annuities payments.
We offer competitive salary and benefits packages, and a dynamic work environment that encourages professional growth and development. Our salary ranges are calculated by role and level. Your position within that range will be determined by your job-related knowledge, skills, experience, relevant education, and training/certifications. In addition to those factors, we also examine internal equity as well as consider current market rate, and title may be assessed one level lower or higher accordingly. After you join the company your performance, contributions, and results along with business and organizational needs will affect your base salary. The base salary range for this full-time position is between $160,000 - $190,000 + equity + benefits.
What we offer at Slingshot:
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k)
- Stock Option Plan
- Paid Time Off (Vacation & Sick)
- Family Leave
- Life Insurance
- Fully stocked break room with food, snacks and beverages
Slingshot Biosciences requires employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. Proof of such vaccination will be required as part of the hiring process.
Slingshot Biosciences is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Legal authorization to work in the United States is required. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Slingshot Biosciences Headquarters Location
Slingshot Biosciences Company Size
Between 20 - 100 employees
Slingshot Biosciences Founded Year
Slingshot Biosciences Total Amount Raised
Slingshot Biosciences Funding RoundsView funding details