Human Resources Manager - GiveDirectlyView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Human Resources Manager
- Job Location
- Monrovia, Liberia
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
GiveDirectly (GD) provides cash grants directly to people living in extreme poverty. Since launching in 2011, GD has raised over $1B, delivered cash to more than 1.5 million recipients, launched operations in 15 countries, and continues to expand its reach across the Global South. GD has also grown the research base supporting unconditional cash with 20 randomized control trials from its programs, generating rigorous evidence across countries and contexts. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) has been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and agile. We work alongside 750+ individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. Team members at GiveDirectly attest that diversity, equity, and inclusion are not just buzzwords, but a fundamental part of our culture and values. We actively seek to recruit individuals from the communities we serve, and use DEI as a lens in our hiring practices, programs, and initiatives. Our goal is to maintain a workplace where everyone can bring their authentic selves to work, and feel valued and respected for who they are. We strive to be inclusive of all cultures and experiences while upholding our values globally. In the spirit of our "Know Yourself and Grow" value, we recognize there is always room to improve our team's working experience. But day to day, we aim to "Create Positive Energy" - we take care of one another, have fun, aim to maximize flexibility and accessibility in roles, and pursue professional development opportunities to stay challenged & engaged in our work.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
About our work in Liberia
Since our launch in 2018, GiveDirectly Liberia has implemented projects in collaboration with the Liberian Ministry of Gender, Children, and Social Protection; the Liberian Ministry of Finance and Development Planning; the Central Bank of Liberia; the Liberian Ministry of Education; and the Liberian National Identification Registry. Our work involves close coordination with the Liberian Ministry of Internal Affairs through its local governance structures, the Liberian Ministry of Justice through the Joint Security, and telecommunication service providers, including Lonestarcell/MTN and Orange Liberia.
Our work in Liberia has been funded by the generous support of the Liberian Ministry of Gender, Children, and Social Protection in partnership with the World Bank, USAID, King Philanthropies, and private donors.
About this role
The Human Resources (HR) Manager will play a key role in sourcing and managing talent within GiveDirectly’s growing Liberia operations team and managing some core office and administrative functions to support staff residing in Liberia. The HR Manager will build robust protocols to support the rapid onboarding of staff and cost-effective monitoring of ongoing performance, including for part-time, temporary, and project-based staff. The HR Manager will also play an important role in managing the country office by supporting general team operations, procurement, travel administration, and logistics. The HR Manager will award exceptional communication skills, strong attention to detail, exceptional organizational skills, rapid problem-solving for various logistical challenges, and a deep interest in building and scaling GD’s organizational culture and values.
Location: Monrovia, Liberia
What you’ll do:
Recruitment and Retention
- Lead on recruiting and sourcing top talent for the Country operations staff positions.
- Own candidate screening and pipeline management, including resume reviews and coordination with candidates
- Provide administrative support during review cycles, including scheduling and updating the system to reflect changes in title/compensation.
- Provide administrative support to managers during review cycles, including reviewing and updating templates and guides for development discussions.
- Ensuring staff are aware of professional development opportunities available to them and supporting team members to connect with PD opportunities that might be relevant to them
Strengthen onboarding and training processes.
- In partnership with the Global People Team and other in-country stakeholders (Program Manager, Field Manager, Finance, etc.), ensure high-quality onboarding of new staff, including orientation on the HR manual and benefits/payroll set-up.
- Assist with professional development training and planning.
Compensation and Benefits Administration
- Oversee leave management and staff timesheets.
- Prepare payroll administrative changes and support finance in preparing monthly payroll.
- Facilitate benefits provision and coordinate with insurance providers
- Ensure timely update of all benefits and information systems
Support rapid project staffing.
- Support rapid project staffing for new awards and domestic disaster response, including finalizing the job descriptions/status (temp/part-time, staff/contract)
Support adherence to local labor laws.
- In coordination with GiveDirectly’s global compliance team, ensure it aligns with local labor laws that would impact our recruitment or training of field staff.
- Work with local counsel in reviewing global policies and providing feedback to the global team
- Work with local counsel interpreting local laws where needed
Strengthen team and Country-wide culture and values
- Ensure organizational values and culture are maintained
- Own tracking and measurement of personal sustainability and well-being barometers
- Lead on implementing activities and events oriented around team-building
- Facilitate initiatives to codify and promote GD’s culture and values
Record Keeping and Updating
- Maintain up-to-date personnel files.
- Ensure all policies are shared on the knowledge Management Platform and are updated in a timely fashion.
- Keep HRIS (BambooHR and Payspace) updated at all times.
What you’ll bring:
- Alignment with GiveDirectly Values and active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem-solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates with personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities we serve.
- At least 4+ years in a Talent, Recruitment, People, or Human Resources function
- Experience leading recruitments for diverse positions, ideally including both contract and staff positions
- Strong understanding of Liberian Employment regulations and best practices in non–profit staffing (benefits, compensation)
- Exceptional emotional intelligence and a demonstrated ability to work cross-culturally and cross-functionally
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional communication skills, including the ability to navigate challenging HR situations that involve complex interpersonal dynamics
- Strong ownership mindset and ability to work in a self-directed manner
- Comfortable operating in a culture of direct, candid feedback
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
- A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary
- A robust health benefits plan (exact details will vary by country)
About the hiring process
Format: The hiring process follows the same general outline for all open roles:
First interview (30 mins)
Take home skills assignment (~2 hours)
Second interview (1 hour)*
Third interview (1 hour)*
Final interview (1 hour)
Reference checks (30 mins each)
*For some roles, second & third interviews are combined into a panel interview. If there are adjustments or variations on this process, those changes will be communicated during the first interview.
Venue: We conduct interviews over Google Meet with camera on (unless communicated otherwise).
Accessibility: Closed captioning is available during all Google Meet interviews, and interviewers will also post interview questions in the chat box throughout the call. If you need assistance accessing either of these features, please let your interviewer know at the start of your interview!
We’re committed to running an inclusive and accessible application process for all of our open roles. If there are questions or concerns you have about the accessibility of our hiring process, we warmly invite you to reach out to email@example.com.
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**
GiveDirectly Headquarters Location
New York, NY
GiveDirectly Company Size
Between 200 - 500 employees
GiveDirectly Founded Year
GiveDirectly Total Amount Raised
GiveDirectly Funding RoundsView funding details