Hardware Engineer - SandboxAQView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Hardware Engineer
- Job Location
- Palo Alto, CA
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Ready to join the AQ era?
SandboxAQ is solving challenging problems with AI + Quantum for positive impact. We partner with global leaders in government, academia, and the private sector to identify applications that would benefit from quantum-based applications to current and future commercial challenges. We engage with customers early and throughout the development process to improve market fit.
Our team’s unique approach enables cross-pollination across a diverse range of fields, from physics, computer science, neuroscience, mathematics, cryptography, natural sciences and more! Our success comes from coalescing diverse talent to create an environment where experimental thinking and collaboration yield breakthrough AI + Quantum solutions. Join a culture where thought leadership, diverse talent, employee engagement, and technological impact will create the next tech uproar.
We are deeply committed to education as a means to advance quantum solutions and computing initiatives. We invest in future talent through internship programs, research papers, developer tools, textbooks, educational talks/events and partnerships with universities/talent hubs to attract multi-disciplinary talent. Our hope is to inspire people from all walks of life to be prepared for the quantum era and encourage a path in STEM.
About the Role:
The Hardware Engineer within Quantum Sensing is anticipated to play an integral role in the development of hardware, firmware, and other software integration needs for the prototyping and product development team. This role will work closely with our research team on the rapid iteration of concepts and the development of novel sensing systems
The role will be on-site and hands-on, working on various projects across the Sensing organization as needed. This team member will be required to travel, potentially internationally, to support test programs with partners and provide field support on an occasional basis.
As a Hardware Engineer, you will be involved in developing novel, multi-modal, sensing systems. You will have the opportunity to play a critical role in building prototypes through the earliest stages of development through to field deployments. You will be responsible for three major work streams:
- Discovery: You will work with our Research and Development team to conceptualize, source, build, and validate new, innovative, prototype devices.
- Assessment: You will work with these teams to evaluate performance of these devices and identify paths for future improvement, as well as identification of problem areas in need of remediation or new conceptual approaches.
- Implementation: You will be the hands-on expert in bringing these concepts to reality and fielding these devices in real-life environments.
- Designs, codes, and constructs prototype systems to transform the conceptual designs of our research team into a testable and functional system.
- Collaborate with R&D team to create technical development roadmaps to de-risking all aspects of the system diagram, with iterative MVP milestones.
- Generates design documentation and relevant safety or certification documentation.
- Identify technical risk factors related to design decisions and conduct effective cost-benefit analysis for decision making.
- Collaborate with stakeholders in product, software engineering, and customer engineers to manage expectations and timelines on hardware readiness.
- Manage and oversee field deployments of prototype products for conducting experiments and system validation.
Qualifications and Skills
- U.S. Citizenship is required due to USG contract requirements
- Capable of working from our Palo Alto location 80% of the time (hybrid)
- Holds a master's level education in Electrical, Computer, Mechanical Engineering, or a related discipline OR a bachelor’s level education and 3+ years of experience in a rapid prototyping industry.
- Willingness and ability for international travel if required (less than 25% of time) to support operational units, including on military installations.
- Ability to diagram and specify requirements at system, subsystem, and component levels to aid in the realization of design decisions.
- Functions effectively as a team player, adept at multitasking across a portfolio of projects and managing competing priorities within specified timelines.
- Demonstrated capacity to learn new sensor modalities and concepts, including but not limited to quantum sensors.
- Proficient in high-level programming (e.g. Python or C++ or Rust or MatLab or Julia, etc.)
It would be great if you also had these:
- Eligibility for US Secret security clearance
- Desire to build things from scratch
- Guidance, Navigation, and Control experience
- Passion for Physics and AI
- Knowledge of Aerospace applications and environments
- Experience building realtime systems in RTOS environments
- Bonus - Familiarity with magnetometers, accelerometers, gyroscopes, precision clocks, and other navigation related sensors.
SandboxAQ welcomes all.We are committed to creating an inclusive culture where we have zero tolerance for discrimination. We invest in our employees' personal and professional growth. Once you work with us, you can’t go back to normalcy because great breakthroughs come from great teams and we are the best in quantum technology.We offer competitive salaries, stock options depending on employment type, generous learning opportunities, medical/dental/vision, family planning/fertility, PTO (summer and winter breaks), financial wellness resources, 401(k) plans, and more.Equal Employment Opportunity: All qualified applicants will receive consideration regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.Accommodations: we provide reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in job application procedures for open roles. If you need such an accommodation, please let a member of our Recruiting team know.
Discover job listings, tech companies, startups, investors, job listings, funding rounds, industries, and tech stacks.Get EmployblBook a demo call
Get periodic emails about startups and the tech job market
Employbl Newsletter is about helping you find jobs and understand the tech job market. Read previous issues.
SandboxAQ Headquarters Location
SandboxAQ Company Size
Between 200 - 500 employees
SandboxAQ Founded Year
SandboxAQ Total Amount Raised
SandboxAQ Funding RoundsView funding details