Group Product Manager, Contributors - WikimediaView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Group Product Manager, Contributors
- Job Location
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for an experienced group product manager to lead teams in creating user experiences that achieve our vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
Wikipedia is one of the most popular media properties in the world, visited by over 1 billion people a month across over 300 different languages. All this knowledge is created and managed by more than 200,000 volunteer contributors. In the current era of misinformation and artificial intelligence, this community of volunteers is more important than ever, but is facing some of the biggest challenges of its 22 year existence. This role is responsible for our evolving user experience strategy to enable thriving communities of contributors as they generate reliable free knowledge content on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia properties on the web platform. Through managing the product managers of the Editing, Growth, Campaigns, and Moderator Tools cross-functional teams, this role is an opportunity to increase the coherence of Wikipedia’s editing experience, to chart a course for how that experience should evolve as the internet changes, and to open up the opportunity to participate to new kinds of people. Volunteer Wikimedia contributors are knowledgeable and enthusiastic about our user experiences, and working directly with them is an important part of this role.
Group product managers manage and mentor individually contributing product managers, and collaborate with other product leaders, designers, engineers, data analysts, researchers, and volunteers to set strategic direction and advise on tactical delivery. This is an opportunity to have a major impact on one of the most popular and beloved parts of the internet.
This role reports to the Director of Product, Core Experiences. Candidates must be available for critical meetings and synchronous work between 15:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC.
You are responsible for:
- Setting the vision and product direction for much of our contributor user experiences on the web platform.
- Understanding and faithfully representing the needs and requirements of a diverse set of contributors, across many languages, countries and lived experiences.
- Guiding a group of product managers to achieve larger contributor objectives through the collective work of the various teams.
- Coordinating with API platform, data platform, and machine learning groups to execute on ambitious and complex projects.
- Working closely with Wikipedia contributors and other volunteer community members.
- Managing, mentoring, growing, and advocating for a team of product managers, especially regarding the strategic use of data and community interactions.
- Partnering with product managers to develop new product directions that emerge from within the specific contexts in which they work.
- Defining and tracking metrics for strategic product areas and connecting these metrics to overall Wikimedia Foundation goals.
Skills and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or the equivalent in relevant work experience
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in product management
- Experience managing or mentoring product managers
- Experience developing user-generated content products in a strong community setting
- Success is building and scaling mobile user experiences
- Robust analytical, problem-solving, and conceptual skills with the ability to deliver on detail as well as strategy
- Good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of management, staff, and communities.
- Capable of managing a diverse range of responsibilities in a dynamic and results-oriented environment. Must be comfortable with evolving requirements and priorities.
Qualities that are important to us:
- Have excellent relationship building and persuasion skills
- Alignment with Wikimedia mission and values
- Resilience and patience in a large and complex ecosystem of stakeholders
- Experienced creating work environments that are diverse, equitable, and inclusive
- Be open, curious, and inquiring
- Inclination toward empowering and growing colleagues through empathy and collaboration
- Share in a culture of constructive criticism and respect
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience building products for multiple languages and geographies.
- Experience with the integration of machine learning or artificial intelligence into web products.
- Experience editing Wikipedia or with the Wikipedia, Wikidata, or Wikimedia Commons communities or other collaborative enterprises
- Open source software development experience
- Familiarity with MediaWiki
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a remote-first organization with staff members including contractors based in more than 50 countries. Salaries at the Wikimedia Foundation are set in a way that is competitive, equitable, and consistent with our values and culture. The anticipated annual pay range of this position for applicants based within the United States is US$140,426 to US$ 219,724 with multiple individualized factors, including cost of living in the location, being the determinants of the offered pay. For applicants located outside of the US, the pay range will be adjusted to the country of hire. We neither ask for nor take into consideration the salary history of applicants. The compensation for a successful applicant will be based on their skills, experience and location.
All applicants can reach out to their recruiter to understand more about the specific pay range for their location during the interview process.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or +1 (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks
News from across the Wikimedia movement
Our Commitment to Equity
This is Wikimedia Foundation
Our Tech Stack
Wikimedia Headquarters Location
San Francisco, CA
Wikimedia Company Size
Between 450 - 1,000 employees
Wikimedia Founded Year
Wikimedia Total Amount Raised
Wikimedia Funding RoundsView funding details