Genetic Counselor - 23andMeView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Genetic Counselor
- Job Location
- Sunnyvale, CA
- Job Description
This is a full-time position with residential location requirements in the San Francisco Bay Area and flexibility for hybrid work settings.
Who We Are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, provides clinical services that deliver individualized genetics-focused care empowering people to take control of their health. Our recently acquired telemedicine platform, Lemonaid Health, includes a medical group of physicians and nurse practitioners serving patients in all 50 states. The combined services of 23andMe and Lemonaid Health provide customers with an opportunity to take the next step when it comes to using genetic information in their health and wellness efforts.
23andMe is seeking a highly motivated, passionate, and experienced genetic counselor to join our Healthcare Operations team. We offer an exciting opportunity to 1) integrate and scale genetic services within the context of a primary care and prevention lens, 2) optimize the potential of consumer-driven genomics in patient care, and 3) facilitate the ongoing development of genetics knowledge and skills of primary care provider colleagues.
Reporting to Healthcare Operations leadership, the Genetic Counselor will be a valuable contributor to the Healthcare Operations team and will interact directly with the medical group. 23andMe’s Healthcare Operations team includes medical professionals with expertise in genetic counseling, clinical genetics, preventive medicine, nursing, primary care, and public health who are dedicated to improving patient healthcare experiences and outcomes through clinically informed approaches to alternative service delivery models such as consumer-driven genomics.
What You’ll Do
- Perform activities consistent with the position of a clinical genetic counselor in a telehealth setting which include providing genetic counseling for patients for a wide variety of conditions including education, a comprehensive risk assessment, psychological support, genetic testing oversight, documentation, and follow-up care.
- Provide clinical support to primary care providers trained on using genetic information in patient care.
- Create clinical support resources related to 23andMe’s health product and using genetic information in patient care.
- Develop and implement clinical genetics and health-product focused educational materials and programs for primary care providers.
- Develop evidence-based condition-specific clinical protocols detailing clinical workflows and procedures (including asynchronous) for using genetic information in patient care within a primary care and prevention framework.
- Participate in genetic counseling student industry rotation through educational activities, project development, mentorship, and supervision.
- Participate as needed in content development for 23andMe’s Healthcare Professionals website including content on social media platforms and other outreach efforts.
- Participate as needed cross functionally to help guide the development of 23andMe’s consumer-facing clinical products and services.
- Maintain professional credentials and remain in good standing with professional boards, organizations, and licensing authorities.
What you’ll bring
- Master's Degree in Genetic Counseling or equivalent
- ABGC certification and active licensure in California (or another state) and willingness to acquire additional licenses
- Minimum of two years of clinical genetic counseling experience
- Experience designing and implementing educational programs and curriculum
- Strong communication skills and able to collaboratively engage with customers, patients, and colleagues
- Detail-oriented, self-motivated, and technologically proficient
- Goal-oriented self-starter with demonstrated ability to work autonomously
- Demonstrated problem solving, organizational, and analytical skills
- Dedication to health inequity, access, and overall diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Strong commitment to 23andMe’s core values and mission
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe Headquarters Location
Mountain View, CA
23andMe Company Size
Between 500 - 1,000 employees
23andMe Founded Year
23andMe Funding Rounds
Post Ipo Equity