Engineering Manager, Media Infrastructure - DiscordView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Engineering Manager, Media Infrastructure
- Job Location
- San Francisco or Remote
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Are you interested in building systems that can store, process, and serve billions of pictures and videos every day? If so, we have the perfect opportunity for you on our newly formed Media Infrastructure team.
As an Engineering Manager, you will grow the team responsible for building the systems that handle more than 100PB of user-generated content.
- Establish the technical roadmap and vision for the team.
- Tackle interesting scaling challenges.
- Expand the team and define its operating rhythm.
- Collaborate with engineering, product and safety leaders to address all of Discord's media-related needs.
- Code and lead technical projects.
- Ensure Discord’s media infrastructure just works.
- 6+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- 1+ year of experience as an Engineering Manager.
- Experience leading projects requiring coordination across many teams
- Experience working on high-scale distributed systems used by tens or hundreds of millions of users.
- Experience building high-performing teams.
- Interest in the media space and a desire to stay up-to-date with industry trends.
- Bonus: experience with media processing and CDNs.
- Our systems are written in Go, Rust, Python and C++.
- We deploy our infrastructure in Google Cloud and Cloudflare.
- Our team uses a lot of open source technologies, and contributes back too (see https://github.com/discord/lilliput )
- The team will be hybrid, with some people working in the Bay Area and others working remotely.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $214,000 to $252,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 14+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Discord Headquarters Location
San Francisco, CA
Discord Company Size
Between 2,000 - 5,000 employees
Discord Founded Year
Discord Funding RoundsView funding details