Engineering Manager, Backend (Decisions Foundations) - AffirmView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Engineering Manager, Backend (Decisions Foundations)
- Job Location
- Remote Poland
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm proudly includes Returnly.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead projects and initiatives on our new ML Developer Productivity team within the ML Platform group. In this role, you will lead and grow a hard-working distributed team to drive the vision and roadmap of the machine learning developer experience.
Our mission is to build a self-service, easy-to-use foundation for developing and delivering robust models to production. This is a new team that will focus on creating internal tools used by ML Engineers for fast paced ML development. Specific responsibilities include architecting a unified interface for machine learning development at Affirm, redesigning the ML model repository, onboarding innovative MLOps tools, and owning the ML development environment (JupyterHub, Python virtual environment).
What You'll Do
- Build a unified ML platform that scales from 50 ML Engineers to hundreds of ML Engineers
- Collaborate with ML Engineers, Platform Engineers, and Product Managers to develop a long-term technical roadmap
- Hire a team of 4+ passionate engineers
- Hold a high technical bar with a bias towards longevity and simplicity
- Provide leadership and career growth opportunities to team members, develop talent, and mentor engineers
- Build a strong engineering culture around innovation, accountability, kindness, and execution
What We Look For
- Experience: 5+ years of experience as a software engineer with 1+ years of experience managing and growing impactful engineering teams
- Prior experience architecting, building, launching and maintaining foundational systems
- Passionate about customer experience
- Proven ability to hire and build teams
- Track record of successful collaboration especially with partner teams
- Ability to listen, influence, and lead towards alignment of common ML technology infrastructure across a growing, global organization
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including the capability to drive alignment across product, engineering, and ML teams
- Drive for changing consumer financial services for the better
Nice to Have/Optional Experience
- Curiosity in ML is encouraged but prior experience is not required.
- Experience with MLOps frameworks like Kubeflow, Ray, KServe, MLflow and SageMaker
- Experience with data frameworks such as Spark, Kafka, Airflow, and Flink
- Experience with container orchestration frameworks like Kubernetes
- Experience with cloud service providers such as AWS
- Experience with Python
Compensation & Benefits
We offer a competitive package, with some highlights listed below. However, the given figures are not guaranteed compensation ranges; rather, they are unbinding, approximate indications of what the salary may be for your awareness. The actual salary may be less than the lower range or greater than the upper range, depending on skills and experience. No employee is guaranteed salary at the amount of the lower range.
- Targeted Gross Monthly Salary: 25,792 - 28,370 PLN
- Flexible Spending Wallets for tech, food and lifestyle
- Generous time off policies
- Away Days - wellness days to take off work and recharge
- Learning & Development programs
- Parental leave
- Robust health benefits
- Employee Resource & Community Groups
Location - Remote Poland
The majority of our roles can be located anywhere in Poland.#LI-Remote
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account.If you got this far, we hope you're feeling excited about this role. Even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people who believe in Affirm's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways—not just candidates who check all the boxes.Inclusivity:
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2021 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
Affirm Headquarters Location
San Francisco, CA
Affirm Company Size
Between 2,000 - 5,000 employees
Affirm Founded Year
Affirm Funding Rounds