Director of Computational Biology Systems - 23andMeView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Director of Computational Biology Systems
- Job Location
- South San Francisco, California
- Job Description
Who We Are
Founded in 2006 and headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, 23andMe is the leading consumer genetics and research company with the largest data set of crowdsourced genetic information in the world. As the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic risk reports, it has revolutionized direct access to one’s genetic information and garnered the trust and ongoing research participation of 80% plus of its customers.
Building upon its distinctive data and relationship with its customers and doubling down on its mission to improve human health through the scientific advancement of genomics, 23andMe has expanded into cutting-edge therapeutics and drug discovery programs across a range of disease areas including oncology, respiratory, cardiovascular and others. The Therapeutics group engages in pre-clinical research integrating best-in class machine learning tools to link genetics to disease, identify new targets for research and predict disease and disease progression. The result is unprecedented genetic specificity and predictive quality, uniquely positioning 23andMe as the categorical leader in the space.
More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
Who You Are
The Director of Computational Biology Systems will build and lead a mission-critical new team at 23andMe. She/He will partner with multidisciplinary teams of human statistical geneticists, computational biologists, biologists, and physicians to design and build and advance a robust and scalable infrastructure that will enable the analysis of high-throughput functional genomics data, integrate genetics and functional genomics to drive target discovery and development, and summarize the results in ways that enables efficient decision making.
Ideal candidates will have significant experience in developing and maintaining robust software tools and large integrated genomic databases that drive scientific discovery. With multiple competing priorities, this leader will excel at collaborating with therapeutic discovery teams to identify, define priorities and excel at creating a vision and executing that vision to enable the therapeutics organization to continue and accelerate our computational biology programs.
What You’ll Do
- Develop strategic plans to advance computational infrastructure (both backend analysis and frontend applications) that will increase the productivity of the Computational Biology team as well as the ability of Therapeutics discovery and development scientists to identify actionable hypotheses through integrated analysis of genomics data
- Work collaboratively with the Computational Biology team to define and spec computational resources and pipelines needed to drive our science forward
- Actively engage with therapeutics discovery scientists to understand their needs and drive the development of user interfaces and tools designed to support hypothesis exploration
- Build, train, lead, and mentor a team of developers to work on software and database development
- Serve as liaison with members of the Data Technology and Infrastructure and Bioinformatics teams and act as the Computational Biology stakeholder in joint company-wide initiatives
- Guide the ongoing development of a robust codebase of R and Python research packages and pipelines developed at 23andMe
- Maintain, improve, and scale our genomics data resources to support the interpretation of genetic and functional genomics results
- Provide leadership in proposing, designing, and implementing best practice solutions in large scale data management
What You’ll Bring
- Master's or PhD in Computational Biology, Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Physics, Statistics, or a related quantitative field
- At least 7 years of infrastructure-building experience in an academic or commercial research setting focused on biomedical research
- Executive leadership skills to educate and influence stakeholders and to add value to strategic business planning and decision-making
- Demonstrated ability to work in a matrix environment and successfully collaborate across direct management lines with other internal organizations
- Extensive experience writing robust code in a shared development environment, including application of best practices in software testing and documentation
- A proven leader and team builder focused on software infrastructure
- Experience applying workflow automation tools for pipeline management
- Significant experience in deploying internally developed tools in a production environment
- Experience working with SQL and relational databases
- Advanced computational skills with programming languages (e.g., Python, R, C/C++)
- Experience managing contract or full-time software and database developers
- Excellent communication skills and experience communicating software or database design to colleagues
Note: This role will be hybrid and based in 23andMe's South San Francisco, California office.
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe takes a market-based approach to pay, and amounts will vary depending on your geographic location. The salary range reflected here is for a candidate based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.San Francisco Bay Area Base Pay Range$201,000—$301,000 USD
23andMe Headquarters Location
Mountain View, CA
23andMe Company Size
Between 500 - 1,000 employees
23andMe Founded Year
23andMe Total Amount Raised
23andMe Funding RoundsView funding details
Post Ipo Equity