Director Corporate Development - OwkinView Company Profile
- Job Title
- Director Corporate Development
- Job Location
- Paris - London - Berlin - Remote
- Job Listing URL
- Job Description
Owkin is an AI biotechnology company that uses AI to find the right treatment for every patient. We combine the best of human and artificial intelligence to answer the research questions shared by biopharma and academic researchers. By closing the translational gap between complex biology and new treatments, we bring new diagnostics and drugs to patients sooner.
Owkin has raised over $300 million and became a unicorn through investments from leading biopharma companies (Sanofi and BMS) and venture funds (Fidelity, GV and BPI, among others).
Owkin is seeking the best and brightest to join our fast-growing and dynamic team.
About the role:
Owkin has an ambitious growth strategy focused around data access, diagnostics and biopharma. Corporate development is pivotal to ensure successful and scalable growth.
The Director, Corporate Development has the opportunity to shape Owkin’s data strategy, AI discovery capabilities, and diagnostics activities. Interfacing with C-level executives and senior managers across the company to understand and help shape strategic priorities, identify and engage with external parties with capabilities relevant to those priorities, and negotiate and close transactions with those external partners.
As a Director, Corporate Development, you will identify potential business partners and negotiate agreements, while working with other teams to ensure alignment of company goals, as set by senior leadership. To assist in Owkin’s rapid growth, we are currently searching for an entrepreneurially minded professional capable of understanding the complex interconnectivity of business, science, AI technologies, drug discovery and development, as well as executing on every step needed to achieve big goals.
The Director, Corporate Development will be a part of Owkin’s business leadership team. The position will require intimate cross team collaboration with Data Platform, R&D, Medical, Diagnostics, Legal, IP, Commercial and Finance teams.
In particular, you will:
- Lead the evaluation and execution of corporate development activities, including strategic partnerships, strategic investments, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and mergers
- Collaborate with leadership to craft external growth strategies across the organization to accelerate and scale Owkin’s data access, distribution of Owkin’s AI diagnostic tools, consolidate Owkin’s AI engine capabilities and drug discovery methodologies
- Assist with the identification and assessment of growth and expansion initiatives; develop organization and business team-specific external growth strategies, monitor industry trends, references and maintain external relationships
- Work closely with senior management across Owkin, to understand business objectives, and organizational context to make informed external growth strategies and decisions
- Interface and coordinate with key functions depending on deal type including Data Platform, R&D, Medical, Diagnostics, Legal, IP , Commercial, and Finance
- Contribute to product roadmap and go-to-market strategies
- Explore, evaluate, source, plan and execute transactions: develop optimal financing structure, support valuation, negotiate terms, coordinate and lead due diligence process, and post-closing integration planning and implementation
- Develop business cases on potential transactions and strategic deals, evaluate strategic fit, financial returns and risks, and present business cases and recommendations to senior leadership and board of directors
- Transaction types you can expect to be involved in include, Strategic Data Access Agreements, Data Management Agreements, Product Development Agreements, Global Distribution Agreements, Licensing Agreements, Target Validation Agreements, Strategic Supply Agreements, other various partnerships, venture capital investments, and M&A
- Interface with key decision makers at major biopharma companies, emerging drug discovery companies, tech and biotech's start-ups, precision medicine players, and strategic data partners including biobanks, major health systems and disease centres
- Craft messaging and presentations and attend meetings with external parties (researching and gathering background material as needed)
- Maintain deal pipeline report for senior management and C-level executives
- Maintain return tracker and prepare periodic updates to C-level executives and board members on deals performance
- Maintain a strong network of industry relevant connections (i.e., venture capitalists, bankers, lawyers, entrepreneurs, key opinion leaders) to identify and evaluate opportunities
- Represent Owkin at scientific events and conferences to identify strategic partners, monitor market trends and report internally
- Perform management responsibilities including, but not limited to: hiring, coaching and development, rewards and recognition, performance and productivity management
- Support Owkin’s senior management in achieving their vision to transform biomedical research and help provide better drugs to patients faster
Position is based in our Paris, London, New York, Boston or Nantes offices or remotely.
We are looking for someone who has a fascination with innovative research and Artificial Intelligence, the future of clinical research, life sciences and medicine, and is passionate about tackling the most complex health challenges.
- You have a University Degree with a finance background, and a Master 's Degree in Business Administration or; you have a strong science background preferably a Masters/PhD degree in Sciences, Technology (Molecular Biology, Epidemiology, HEOR, Genetics, Oncology, Statistics, AI, Machine Learning, Data Science, etc…)
- You have extensive experience in corporate development, M&A, venture capital, private equity, investment banking, strategy consulting, with direct experience executing transactions, strategic deals and investments
- You have proven experience in a management or leadership role
- You have extensive experience in biotech, life sciences, pharmaceutical or healthcare industries
- You have strong knowledge of the healthcare and biopharma sectors (including software providers, biotech's, pharma tech transfer offices, academia etc…)
- You have strong subject matter expertise and first-hand execution experience in mergers, acquisitions & divestitures, corporate development, strategic partnerships, purchasing/distribution agreements, development contracts, licensing, related processes, due diligence, and negotiation methods
- You have deep understanding of IP and legal concepts in contracting and their implications in the context of licensing, distribution, co-development and other deals
- You have successful record of accomplishment of signed deals and a high level of professional credibility
- You have a record of high achievement, meeting your OKRs and KPIs
- You have proven ability to screen and prioritize business opportunities
- You have extensive experience in leading due diligence, involving internal teams and external advisors / consultants
- You have strong skills in negotiating deal terms and successfully signing contracts
- You are familiar with business intelligence tools and analysis of market trends
- You have the capability to simultaneously lead and manage multiple high complexity projects
- You have the ability to navigate and manage in a matrixed environment
- You have a collaborative mindset, emotional intelligence and the ability to adapt quickly to change
- You have strong interpersonal and communication skills, you master the key principles of negotiation, and are able to convince/influence others both internally and externally
- You have extensive experience preparing presentations, proposals and meetings with C-level executives, senior management, and Board directors
- You bring a strong book of relationships across healthcare and biopharma, and across DD services provides, IP law firms, and financial institutions
- You have the capacity to both work independently and represent Owkin, while being a team player and collaborate with multiple teams across the organization
- You are hands-on, efficient, proactive articulate and possess integrity, professionalism and no work ego
- You have excellent communication, management and organizational skills: you have the ability to prepare technical and business reports and oral presentations
- You are a strong computer literate (Google suite, Slack, Salesforce, etc…)
- You are excited to work hard in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
This is an opportunity to join a fast-growing, well-funded company with real potential to make an impact on the lives of patients.
What we offer
- Competitive salary & excellent benefits package
- Flexible work organization and access to remote work
- Friendly and informal working environment
- Opportunity to work with an international team with high technical and scientific backgrounds
Recruitment Process & Security
- Please attach a CV.
- Owkin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status or on the basis of disability.
- Owkin is a great place to work. Unfortunately, being a coveted workplace means we are vulnerable to recruitment phishing scams. We urge all job seekers and candidates to be wary of potential scams. Most of these have individuals posing as representatives of prominent companies, including Owkin, with the aim of obtaining personal, sensitive, or financial information from applicants. These scams prey upon an individual’s desire to obtain a job and can sometimes “feel” like a genuine recruitment process. Some red flags are identified below. Should you encounter a recruitment process that claims to be for Owkin but is not consistent with the below, please do not provide any personal or financial information:
- Legitimate Owkin recruitment processes include communication with candidates through recognized professional networks, such as LinkedIn. However, further
- communication is always through an official Owkin email address (from the @owkin.com domain), over the phone or though Recruitment platforms (WelcomeKit, talent.io, hidden.market, Fifty Talent or Hiresweet);
- Legitimate Owkin recruiters will not solicit personal data from candidates during the application phase including, but not limited to, date of birth, social security numbers, or bank account information;
- Legitimate Owkin interviews may be conducted over the phone, in person, or via an approved enterprise videoconferencing service (such as Google Meets or Highfive). They will never occur via Signal, Telegram or Messenger
- Legitimate Owkin offers of employment are based on merit and only extended once a candidate has interviewed with members of the hiring team. Offers will be extended both verbally and in written format. Owkin may request some personal information to initiate the hiring process, but this will be through protected means.
If you think that you have been a victim of fraud,
- Check the identity of recruiters on LinkedIn and the website https://owkin.com/team/
- Check the existence of the position on our website https://owkin.welcomekit.co/
- Notify Owkin's recruitment unit at this address firstname.lastname@example.org
- contact the following authorities:
Owkin Headquarters Location
New York, NY
Owkin Company Size
Between 200 - 500 employees
Owkin Founded Year
Owkin Total Amount Raised
Owkin Funding RoundsView funding details